In Combat = terrible idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Combat = terrible idea

Can we please get rid of the whole 'in combat' mechanic? Please? I just finished the Oasis, a fairly long level, killed every monster I could find, but the damn level won't end because I'm still 'in combat'. With what I have no idea. So I had to abandon it.

Combine this with levels like Malador where you have to retrace half the level if you want to open chests/mystery boxes and it is a constant source of irritation. Was there ever an actual reason for this?
    Last edited by BAgate; 04-13-2017, 08:57 PM.

When this happens to me there's usually a zombie somewhere, walking towards me at 0.05mph. I have to agree it would be nice to have some sort of distance time out, or time/distance combo, or something.

I think malador is one of the worst levels for it - super dense but lots of walls... One misplaced vortex and a guy from the next hallway over starts meandering your way. Not that you'll ever figure that out.
    VOWO TOSO QEME 4656

Comment

Agreed 100%!

Comment

Same here.
        I will hunt you Ragadam, across the worlds!
        Join the wiki here: http://mage-minions.wikia.com/wiki/Page_Index

Comment

Originally posted by abc127 View Post
          ...it would be nice to have some sort of distance time out
          You've got my vote! +1
          DONT MESS WITH 7007

Comment

Yeah, the 1-revenant-slugging-its-way-across-the-map-unable-to-open-boxes problem can be a bit of a pain. You get used to it after a while though.

Comment

+2, in combat is stupid, always has been
              Led

The needer of Nerfs,
              The greatest sheepshagger of all

Killed 1970 frogs...and plans to kill 1 more
              HALU RALO ZEYO 0519

Comment

The incombat, sluggish and nowhere to be found, monster preventing you to end the level is a big problem indeed.

One reason to enforce the in-combat rule is that it's out of character to end a level while you are surrounded by a bunch of monsters hitting you.

The keyword in the above statement is 'surrounded' and it gives us a solution to this problem: monsters will drop out of combat after a certain amount of time passes without any interaction between the player and the monster.

The drop out of combat rule will also depend on the distance between the hero and the monster, far away monsters are more likely to drop out of combat.

Also, let's say the timer will be generous enough to still permit your favorite monster herding techniques with some effort from your part. E.g.: if you want to keep monsters in combat you would have to damage them from time to time.

Comment

That would be great.

In a related note, how about fixing the walls in Malador so you can't hit a monster on the other side with an AoE and bring them into combat?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer) View Post
                    The incombat, sluggish and nowhere to be found, monster preventing you to end the level is a big problem indeed.

One reason to enforce the in-combat rule is that it's out of character to end a level while you are surrounded by a bunch of monsters hitting you.

The keyword in the above statement is 'surrounded' and it gives us a solution to this problem: monsters will drop out of combat after a certain amount of time passes without any interaction between the player and the monster.

The drop out of combat rule will also depend on the distance between the hero and the monster, far away monsters are more likely to drop out of combat.

Also, let's say the timer will be generous enough to still permit your favorite monster herding techniques with some effort from your part. E.g.: if you want to keep monsters in combat you would have to damage them from time to time.
                    The first nerf which probably will be negative only for few top players...it will be much harder to gather all monsters in trials now... Personally I am waiting for this improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                      In a related note, how about fixing the walls in Malador so you can't hit a monster on the other side with an AoE and bring them into combat?
                      That's would be a good improvement, added on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer) View Post

A follow up question, but what about minions? I've recently noticed that they sometimes stay VERY far behind you fighting a lone monster and so you remain in combat. Can we tweak the minion AI so that they disengage and catch up to you if the distance gets to great?

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                          A follow up question, but what about minions? I've recently noticed that they sometimes stay VERY far behind you fighting a lone monster and so you remain in combat. Can we tweak the minion AI so that they disengage and catch up to you if the distance gets to great?
                          Or that they run your speed?
                          VOWO TOSO QEME 4656

Comment

IMHO you cant just get rid of the in combat mechanic. Its purpose is to prevent rushes for level end and/or chests.

I agree that it should behave correctly tho. With some sort of timeout or distance trigger. But proportioned with who you are in combat with.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by Freeman9426; 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman9426 View Post
                              IMHO you cant just get rid of the in combat mechanic. Its purpose is to prevent rushes for level end and/or chests.

I agree that it should behave correctly tho. With some sort of timeout or distance trigger. But proportioned with who you are in combat with.

Thanks.
                              And proportioned with how many there... one lone stuck zombie at the start of the level preventing the final chest from opening is very different than a horde trailing behind a rusher... or an intentionally-gathered crowd in a trial (or achievement attempt)...

Comment

Working...
                              X