Stalker Secondary Attack Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalker Secondary Attack Question

Quick question/observation regarding the secondary attack preference of Stalker builds. I have been using Scattershot as the secondary attack for some time now, assuming that this will lead to more stacks of poison ammo being applied to enemies. Given that 1-5% of my damage will come from anything other the Snipe DOT at higher TL's, It's always seemed a no brainer to me to use the secondary attack proc from Stalker gear to spread more poison, rather than add a trivial amount of increased damage. The only thing I can think of is the increased range of Lethal Shot, and the desire to stay further away from the mobs. When I get to the 140's in ANB Trials, I notice that no one else is using Scattershot, so obviously I'm missing something. I ranked 33 in the last ANB, so Scattershot is definitely an option, just wondering why it's the subpar choice.

As a side note, I know I can just use one attack, and have Explosive shot receive the 20% bonus attack shot, but I really prefer that my main attack be activated by a right click, so that my attack and movement aren't tied to the same mouse button. Gets me into too much trouble moving my character into dangerous situations, if I happen to miss clicking on an enemy.
    Last edited by DethStrike; 10-20-2020, 09:45 AM.

Lethal Shot is a more consistent damage dealer to bosses IMO. It is easier done in pc, but using explosive shot plus tracer ammo on mobile helps increase the molten belt stacks faster. Nobody uses scatter shot with stalker and shadow assassins pistol set. It's range is short that contradicts to stalker set to maintain your distance as much as you can to the mobs. Scatter shot is only effective in assault and tesla armaments set, which was the meta years ago.
    Last edited by Benedicto; 10-20-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I know that Explosive shot is pivotal with Tracer Ammo in regard to the Molten Belt. Explo is obviously my primary attack. I was asking in regard to the secondary attack. I also understand that Lethal shot does more damage, but like I said, at trial 145 my Snipe DOT is doing 97-99% of all damage. This would suggest that all other damage is trivial to pointless, which is why I use scatter to spread poison ammo stacks via additional targets hit. I concede to your point that Lethal shot has greater range, which is the only reason I had guessed it is being used. I'll switch it up and see if it helps my survivability.
      Last edited by DethStrike; 10-20-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Benedicto
        Benedicto commented
        Editing a comment
        I commend you for using Scatter Shot to benefit more to poison damage, I don't know about that but it is a good idea. But if may ask you, do you die often when switching to Scatter Shot because your toon comes closer to the mobs due to its shorter range? That is the reason why I hate it, I am dying even at one shot above TL140 and I only use Explosive Shot.

• DethStrike
        DethStrike commented
        Editing a comment
        I probably die 2-4 times on average in the upper 130's and 140's. I've gotten pretty good at dodging and identifying which enemies are threats and their patterns. I'm think all that practice fighting up close will probably have helped my survivability going down the line. I am going to try and use Lethal Shot for the time being, given everyone's recommendations.

When you say at trial 145 your Snipe Dot is doing 97-99% or all damage, you mean on the boss, correct?

If you really want to see the difference between Scatter Shot and Lethal shot I'd check stats about 75% through the mob phase. That way you can also see if there's a difference in how much poison damage is doing and if the combination of that additional poison plus scatter shot is equal or greater than your lethal shot damage in the same trial.
      WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

Like Benedictosays, using scatter shot results in dying too often above TL140, even with Pathfinder, distance between hero and mobs is too small.

Comment

Originally posted by DethStrike View Post
          Quick question/observation regarding the secondary attack preference of Stalker builds. I have been using Scattershot as the secondary attack for some time now, assuming that this will lead to more stacks of poison ammo being applied to enemies. Given that 1-5% of my damage will come from anything other the Snipe DOT at higher TL's, It's always seemed a no brainer to me to use the secondary attack proc from Stalker gear to spread more poison, rather than add a trivial amount of increased damage. The only thing I can think of is the increased range of Lethal Shot, and the desire to stay further away from the mobs. When I get to the 140's in ANB Trials, I notice that no one else is using Scattershot, so obviously I'm missing something. I ranked 33 in the last ANB, so Scattershot is definitely an option, just wondering why it's the subpar choice.

As a side note, I know I can just use one attack, and have Explosive shot receive the 20% bonus attack shot, but I really prefer that my main attack be activated by a right click, so that my attack and movement aren't tied to the same mouse button. Gets me into too much trouble moving my character into dangerous situations, if I happen to miss clicking on an enemy.
          1st things 1st. Mobile players even don't think about the secondary attack. As I don't know what's the secondary attack on my BH explosive shot permanent. For pc players it's advantage they are not casting abilities plus attack control by mouse.

Comment

• Ozymandius
            Ozymandius commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I find it easier to switch from primary attack (one finger touch) to secondary attack (two fingers touch) on mobile than on a PC. PCs tend to get stuck if you switch back and forth between left and right mouse button very often. Of course, if you want to avoid having to switch up your attacks by changing finger touches or mouse buttons, you can use Charm of Qol or Virtual Belt to do the changes automatically. If you are already at TL140, then I would just go with Lethal Shot for maximum damage at a safer distance.
        Working...
        X