Improving the skill Devastate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving the skill Devastate

Being the last skill to unlock, Devastate was supposed to be this ultimate skill. But one can hardly find anyone use this skill. Even whirlwind has its fans. Problem with the skill is that it can kill you. That pretty much sums up the reason why people don't use it. Additionally when using this skill, one basically gives up the damage from normal attacks (frenzy or RS or cleave). That is a large drawback and reduces the attractiveness of the skill.

Instead, how about

Name: Shadow Avatar
    Description: A shadowy figure jumps from back, a launches a series of devastating attacks at your current target. While the avatar is on the battlefield, you are immune to stun and suffers only 50% of incoming damage.
    Effects: 12 attacks of 3000% each. The 13th attack is actually the avatar form exploding for 3000% AOE damage (not a large AOE, just twice the fireball should be enough).

The above solves two big issues with current Devastate, no normal attack damage during effect and uncontrolled movement that leads to death. Plus the final AOE detonation is my little flair. Explosions are fun.

Couple with the skill, here is the mace/shield set called Shadow Vestments.

Set 2 bonus: 10% chance to cast Shadow Avatar on successful block.

This will give warriors something to think about. I don't see dual wielders going to SW just for this. But it will help close the gap a little. For SW, giving up both encrypted shield AND Deidre for some SA casting... tough call. But choices should be like that...
    GAQO KITO REZO 1934

+1
    Shadow Avatar should also target highest HP mob that is aggro'ed (imo) to make each 'pull' faster for warrior.
    ANB #1- Mage Rank 17... T107 in 9:47
    ANB #2- Mage Rank 1..... T116 in 9:54

Live LB- Mage Rank 3..... T122 in 9:05.
    Live LB- XP Mage ........... T112 in 7:55/ T100 in 3:25.

Click here to see my gameplay videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Potato View Post
      +1
      Shadow Avatar should also target highest HP mob that is aggro'ed (imo) to make each 'pull' faster for warrior.
      Actually I somewhat disagree with that. Consider Kara and her summoned minions, I would want more control on which to target. So the one I'm fighting (minion always) is the one I want targetted by the skill. During the mob phase, I don't think it's all that important which one gets targetted. So net net, for me I want the current target to also be the target of the SA skill. That little final AOE explosion would be helpful to clear up the mob a bit.
      GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Arionthe , for once I rather like your idea.

Red (Developer) has mentioned that (in his view) skills shouldn't have too much AI, and "aiming" (targeting) shouldn't be too much of a requirement or it will further increase the gap between PC (better aim) and mobile. So maybe we could stick with random hops, perhaps starting with the current targeted enemy.

This "detached Devastate" dispenses the need for stun immunity and damage reduction, since you retain control of your character (and thus enjoy its full LoH capacity). Actually, I think it should be further balanced (in your proposed Shadow Avatar form) by incurring a 10% total HP cost for the caster.

As to the proposed set bonus, 10% would be far too much. Since you block a gazilion times. Maybe a 1% chance to reduce the skill cooldown instead? That would at least force you to slot it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post
          Arionthe , for once I rather like your idea.
          You know, I could do without that "for once", making it sound like I'm usually just sprouting nonsense.. /jk

Red (Developer) has mentioned that (in his view) skills shouldn't have too much AI, and "aiming" (targeting) shouldn't be too much of a requirement or it will further increase the gap between PC (better aim) and mobile. So maybe we could stick with random hops, perhaps starting with the current targeted enemy.

This "detached Devastate" dispenses the need for stun immunity and damage reduction, since you retain control of your character (and thus enjoy its full LoH capacity). Actually, I think it should be further balanced (in your proposed Shadow Avatar form) by incurring a 10% total HP cost for the caster.

As to the proposed set bonus, 10% would be far too much. Since you block a gazilion times. Maybe a 1% chance to reduce the skill cooldown instead? That would at least force you to slot it.
          Actually stun immunity is one of the calling card for this skill. It's extremely functional and unique (I actually uses it to tank the TBD stun ring). Same thing with damage reduction, at lower levels, I could tank through Elban's devastating assault. Giving players possible alternative ways to deal with boss mechanics is a big plus. So I would want those two features kept intact.

I could go for further balancing by REDUCING the damage it outputs, but keep the special features it offers. For example 2000% per hit instead of 3000%.

As for the set bonus, don't blame me for wanting it high. The issue is usability during boss phase. Sure it will trigger a lot during mob phase, but unlike attack based triggers, blocking based trigger tends to fall off a cliff during the boss phase (why apprentice 2 bonus is SO MUCH better than encrypted shield). I was thinking about the boss phase when I wrote 10% trigger chance. Perhaps add a qualifier where it can't be triggered more than once per 5 secs will help "balance" it?

Finally I can't even fit in battle rage to my skill slots for my SW. I'm very much skill starved so forcing me to slot the skill will likely mean I can't use it.

One other possibility is to have a Equipment provided skill trigger. Kind of like how blade flurry works. A flash icon will appear on the right side of the screen when an equipment provided skill becomes available. One can click on that icon or have a gesture to trigger it.
          GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
            You know, I could do without that "for once", making it sound like I'm usually just sprouting nonsense.. /jk
            Well, let's just say I can't help but envy the time you can afford to write detailed theoretical solutions (which - realistically, and by no fault of yours - have slim to zero chances of being implemented) to dubious/hypothetical game problems.

In all fairness, I have no "authority" or "ascendance" to label your suggestions as "nonsense": they do have *a* sense (your sense, your vision for the game), which just happens to generally differ from mine. No harm there.

In this case, however, I do agree 100% with the present skill problems you enumerated, and I think that your proposal would address them (balancing aspects aside) in a neat, not-hard-to-implement, and visually pleasant enhancement.

Comment

Ha, don’t tell my boss.
              GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

My issue with devastate (and with others like Leap, Death from Above [mage], Frost Beam [mage], etc) is the very long cast/animation time. It effectively kills your dps since you can't do anything else. I'd consider lowering the animation time on such skills, or make a higher attack speed reduce the time.

Comment

Working...
                X