Ability casting is frustrating; suggestions to make it less so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ability casting is frustrating; suggestions to make it less so

I play on mobile; I don't know if it's different when on PC.

Often, the game interprets an attempt to move somewhere as an ability cast and starts drawing some nonsense symbol. Also often, that nonsense symbol gets interpreted as an actual ability symbol (even when it looks nothing like it) and wastes the ability on nothing.

First off, the game should be much stricter about interpreting symbols; there should be some leeway, but currently it's very easy to trigger a cast that you're not trying to use. Some examples of things that the game reads incorrectly as a valid symbol:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	700c4831e5a125560668e59dd2b3162d.png Views:	127 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	124852
    Seriously, how do you manage to read that last one as a Z? Often when I notice the game is trying to cast something when I don't want it to, I just make some nonsensical scribble and the game casts something anyway.

That aside, there's really no good way to fix the game reading a movement as a symbol, so I'd suggest an option to opt out of the system entirely. Add an option in the settings to enable symbol casting, enabled by default; if disabled, spells will instead be cast by tapping their icons and then the targeted area. (That would also work if symbol casting is enabled; currently it just yields "Draw signs to use abilities".)

Changing between primary attacks is similarly annoying. Sometimes the game just refuses to register two fingers, which means that whatever your second attack is, it often doesn't see use even when it'd be the more appropriate spell. Bonus points if there are multiple targets coming from multiple directions that you need to swap between (e.g. fighting Gorgona, playing the Gauntlet, ambushes in story levels); even if you use the right spell for the first target, it'll probably swap to the other when trying to switch targets. Accordingly, I'd like 2 options in the settings for that as well: The first and default is the current system, while the second is icon-tapping to permanently swap to that attack, alongside the ability to draw a symbol to permanently swap attacks (creating new symbols shouldn't be too hard; arrows should probably go to those, while more complex symbols should go to the displaced utility abilities).

Finally, I'd like to have an option to choose which symbols correspond to which abilities. There are several cases where the current placements tend to be annoying; for instance, the W to use an apple takes a relatively long time to draw for something that I use often and often needs to be used very quickly to survive; meanwhile, I sometimes forget which of the 4 different arrows correspond to which abilities, and confuse one for another.

If the option to rearrange symbols is added, you could also add a few new symbols that are unused by default. Some suggestions:

L and other diagonal arrows
    U and flipped version(s)
    E (like that of the game's icon)
    W sideways x2
    B (fun fact: depending on how well it's drawn, the game variably interprets this as an M, Z, O, or W, roughly in that order)
    Triangle
    4 and flipped counterparts
    Stylized lightning bolt (emphasis on being taller than the average Z/S)
    Last edited by Spirare; 01-26-2019, 01:16 AM.

I play on mobile and rarely have issues with casting accidentally, and, with the exception of the apple, find them to be quick and easy to do when I want.

The issue I see with your suggestions is that many of them can be difficult to do accurately and quickly, and/ or easily confused for a similar symbol. For example a sideways W can look like a quickly scribbled E, and you were claiming that a W was too slow anyway! An L will end up looking like a left arrow, likewise the U will look like a V. B is simply too precise to use in a hurry, and a 4 will be confused for an up arrow. Triangles require one more movement than necessary and the arrow shape is too similar.

My advice is to practice your tapping/ drawing so you can make fewer mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Drake View Post
      The issue I see with your suggestions is that many of them can be difficult to do accurately and quickly, and/ or easily confused for a similar symbol.
      That is true, yeah. I mostly favor the simpler and faster ones, but figured I could give the other ideas anyway.

For example a sideways W can look like a quickly scribbled E, and you were claiming that a W was too slow anyway!
      In that case, an E can just not be included. (Honestly, as a symbol it definitely is impractical to use in any case; I just put it in there because it sounded nice to be able to use the game's icon in casting.) W being too slow is mostly for its specific position as an apple trigger; if symbols could be swapped, then I'd be fine drawing it in order to cast, say, Immolate, which is generally much less urgent to use than an apple.

An L will end up looking like a left arrow, likewise the U will look like a V. [...] a 4 will be confused for an up arrow. Triangles require one more movement than necessary
      As for the first two, that goes back to the first point: make the symbol recognition stricter. At the very least, a U lacks a sharp angle, which the game should be able to recognize; you're not likely to draw a wide curve accidentally when trying to make an arrow. (A rounded point should still be recognized as equivalent to a sharp one, but a U can't really be said to have a point at all.)

An L will be drawn with its angle at a much lower point compared to a <, and a straight vertical line could probably be recognized over a diagonal one.

Triangles require 3 movements for 3 lines. So does a 4 - and so does a Z, and an M and W require 4 movements. If you have any ideas as to a unique 2-movement symbol that doesn't look like an existing arrow, I'd like to hear them. At the very least, 3-movement symbols could be used instead of some of the existing 4-movement ones. I don't see how it's "one more movement than necessary".

Both a triangle and 4 would be clearly set apart from existing symbols by the third line in them. Currently, the game cannot recognize either as an arrow at all due to that; instead it says they're Os, which would be eliminated if the game attempts to differentiate angles. Even if it didn't, implemented into the current system there would probably be no problem with recognizing them both as unique symbols and not mistaking them for a new one.

B is simply too precise to use in a hurry,
      I've tried it ingame and don't think it should be too much of a problem to draw - at least not as a "slow symbol" alongside the W and M. The point of suggesting alternative symbols and being able to reallocate symbols is so that the symbols that cannot be used in a hurry can be replaced with the ones that can be. If a B is added, it can be placed on something that will never need to be used quickly anyway.

My advice is to practice your tapping/ drawing so you can make fewer mistakes.
      I don't make mistakes when drawing; the main problem is tapping for movement. Tapping repeatedly is often impractical; it's usually much more convenient to hold down the location you're trying to move to, but you have to hold your finger in place for a second to do so, which is difficult to do when moving somewhere is urgent (often even more so than using a health potion or apple). Start trying to move too early, and you'll start casting, and there is no way to cancel that except drawing a nonsense-symbol - and the game does not allow for nonsense-symbols to exist at all. What it recognizes goes far beyond what can plausibly be drawn by accident when intentionally trying to cast.

Comment

Just for reference on PC, you press the number keys.

Hate us yet?

Actually completely understand where you're coming from on this.
        I've done things right to the top and slideexpecting it to follow where my finger moves but draw.
        I've started symbols to draw something crazy and result was still an ability.

They aren't going to remove this as it's one of their fundamental core ideas. A system they live and fits their vision.
        might be time just have a look at it. Phones have improved since the release with higher DPI better detection etc so they may just be able now to safely decree tolerance level.

Apples and potions while have the drawnsymbol should probably get a tap to use. When they need be used they need to be used. And the complex symbol on them i believe is too much to ask.

Some of your symbols are hillarious btw. Some like top left okay. It's a > drawn really fast.
        But a star?!?! Sheesh.
        They could probably add a cancel feature. If line crosses itself it cancels

That way if start by mistake just do any movement that causes you to go wide enough to make an actual loop in that glowing stuff and bam done.

As for new symbols. ....

I think each class needs one or two "ultimates"
        With a stupid complex symbol that takes 5-10 seconds to draw.
        At right moment (freezes, stuns) it's great. Wrong time and you die.
        Fun!
        Lord Emperor of Bridge Navigational Systems Engineer for:
        Eternium 2: Rise of the bounty Hunters
        see post:https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...pply-for-a-job
        and https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...414-eternium-2

Do NOT hire Xagan! He works for the enemy!!!

Friend code: GEBA WABE WADI 4184

If it's spelled bad. Horrible Grammar. Random words. No photo I was talking about. Or cut off mid sentence...
        It's my tablet, I'm sorry

Comment

Working...
        X