Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make high end gameplay more skill oriented.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make high end gameplay more skill oriented.

Currently the way to be in top means that the player has to have a high fps PC and an ability to press 3 buttons (1-2-3) simultaneously as fast as humanly possible.

High FPS gives faster procs and alacrity not failing as much and mashing those buttons keeps the dps rotation as short as possible for the max output.

I play mostly mage (arcanist), but i have bh and warr above tl100 and see that same trend there for cookiecutter builds.

The state of mage arcanist is actually a bit comical. If you have a good PC with high framerate, then the biggest damage does not come from your abilities. One is a set bonus (ripple) and rhe other is weapon enchantment (stormblade)

You should change the game, that the one who utilizes skills in a proper way, manages their cooldowns well and has good positioning for bossfights is the victor. Just smashing 3 buttons shouldn't get one very far.

Remove factors what favor the PC over mobile (those procs) or make it so that mobile has advantage in one end and PC in another.

For example you can use two or more fingers with mobile and mouse speed is also faster.

One way for helping mobile cope with the overpower from the pc is to have an option to choose the specials be autocasted. This can be switched on for each special separately and the ability will be casted on screen tap.

Integrals mantle is one of the main culprits of this button mashing contest, it is broken item. It should be changed in a way thay it is not mandatory to have it on all builds for all classes. This status already gives away how broken it is.

Originally posted by Heikki Gross View Post
    Integrals mantle is one of the main culprits of this button mashing contest, it is broken item. It should be changed in a way thay it is not mandatory to have it on all builds for all classes. This status already gives away how broken it is.
    Erm... no. Simply no. DMG comes from abilities, and abilities do not depend solely on "pressing buttons". Take this from a mobile-only player, which is currently sitting on #61 on the BH leader boards and is by far not the highest mobile-only player.
    MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Matrikor, Stalker BH, TL 126

Mobile only
    (Inactive / not playing atm - just had enough of DP's bullshit bug bingo)

Comment

• Heikki Gross
      Heikki Gross commented
      Editing a comment
      You only know one spectrum, that is mobile. And it really takes a lot of finger skill currently to be competitive on mobile. Now go ahead and play your toon on pc. Only guide him with mouse and press 1-2-3 all at once as fast as possible. I bet you will gain at least 20 spots.

You only know one spectrum, that is mobile. And it really takes a lot of finger skill currently to be competitive on mobile. Now go ahead and play your toon on pc. Only guide him with mouse and press 1-2-3 all at once as fast as possible. I bet you will gain at least 20 spots.
    How do you know that "I only know one spectrum"? Guess what - I am typing this reply to your comment on a Macbook Pro with a parallel installed Windows 10 using Bootcamp. I could in no time switch to playing Eternium on a PC (and, in fact, I did try it in the past). Why I don't do this? Simply: because I don't like it. I like the playing style on a mobile, and this is the reason why I stick with playing on mobile only.

In no way I did neglect that PC players have an advantage over mobile players. They do. But there are some things in your original post that are simply not true, being the IM thing the worst one of them. The top players on the leader boards do not simply "spam" their abilities - they activate them when they have the highest impact. So "spamming abilities by furiously pressing buttons" is in no way a way to get high on the leader boards. It's this skill, which you can't put into your abilityslots, that gets you gaining medals. If you lack it, you got to train until you master it. SImple as that.
    Last edited by Christian Lamine; 12-26-2019, 02:00 PM. Reason: Typos
    MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Matrikor, Stalker BH, TL 126

Mobile only
    (Inactive / not playing atm - just had enough of DP's bullshit bug bingo)

Comment

• Heikki Gross
      Heikki Gross commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no reason to get so upset.

Im just stating the fact that there is a bias and it could be countered by making encounters require more skill, planning and understanding of the game mechanics, than button pressing.

It remains unclear to me how integrals mantle comment was not valid. In terms of item balancing, that item is completely broken. Testament to that is the fact that across all classes and builds, noone can be competirive without it. There is no substitute and that means its IMBA in game terms.

But to answer your last comment about my skill and abilities I think I actually know what Im talking about.

I have played this game only for 2,5 months. I finished Gold3 on mages ladder spot 22 and currently Im on #17 for the season, being the lowest cl in top 30. I have played games like this for decades and have seen many broken mechanics before.

My spot in the leaderboards should actually give you a hint how spamming all the buttons is superior to any other planned/timed actions. I have 2,7 mil damage with 2,07 mil dps for that particular fight. There is a lot of players who have more damage, but they dont produce that dps. Its due to the fact that their rotatons are not consecutive. The only way to have them in line like that is basically just spam all 3 skills. Take a look at Fendy's videos. You will see that he is constantly spamming all the abilities, regardless what class he is playing. Its not that he lacks the skill, but its due to the fact that he undesrtands the mechanic behind the game and spamming gets best results.

The main principle of IM is to get as many procs as possible. This means to have faster hit speed and in return it gives the player ability to cast spells faster. With the level of current ability rates, abilities can basically be spammed faster than the player can draw their signs on screen. This in return gives favor to the PC, since all the abilities can be spammed simultanelously on the keyboard.

Full disclaimer here before I start, I just glanced through what was written, but a couple of things jumped out at me.

Please, do not assume that Christian Lamine or anyone else is "so upset" unless they explicitly tell you so. I read through his comment and saw it as just a matter of fact stating. Before careful about reading emotions into what is written in the Forum. There are many here that are non-native English speakers and tone can be rather easily presented in ways that are not intended or read in ways that are based upon personal biases. Language is a curious thing. Miscommunication is a major tush biter even among dear friends. Discuss. Resist adding tone that is not explicit. A lesson that I need to learn all too well myself. If in doubt about how someone is feeling? Ask.

I saw your comment about the Intergralas Mantle, IM, being broken and will accept that. Maybe the developers need to start with an even more prevalent problem that is required for all classes. Looking at the leader boards, all the top leaders in all the classes are loaded up on Power. Seems that you do not have a chance of success without Power. The system should be corrected as it is obviously broken.

The IM is simply the easiest way to add roughly 500 Ability Rate, AR. to a hero and AR is as critical to higher level success as Power. There are other ways to add in that AR and you do see it now and then on the boards. Seems that what your concern with the IM truly might be is not the IM itself but the overall concern of many players that one type of gear for each hero class tends to rule all the boards. The IM prevalence is not much different than the overwhelming use of Stalker gear or Arcanist Gear. At least the IM is universal amongst all the builds so that you do not have to swap that out every time a preferred build class changes. Plus? Sharing one pinnacle IM amongst all your heroes is actually possible unlike any other piece of gear except jewelry.

The rest of the discussion? I leave for those better than I to discuss. The IM remark just jumped out.
    Last edited by Tin Man; 12-26-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy the "fast" leveling up while you can. The speed at which you level up will very quickly come to an end. Soon, you will also see single-digit CL boosts after running ANB.

If you have not looked at this thread:

take a gander. You will get an idea about what is ahead of you. Sorry that I have not yet posted the files. They are coming soon.

• Heikki Gross
      Heikki Gross commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, i get it that the party will be over soon I also have quite good understanding how steep it will be rising over 2k. I played D2 for years and my main toon was level 97 and that was already an achievement. And ppl who dont know usually just ask why didnt you do 99. Its like to get from 97 to 98 it was needed more than double the ammount of exp it took to get from 1 to 97.

• kamap
      kamap commented
      Editing a comment
      I've played D2 from the day it came out and still play D2 and in all the years I've made 1 lvl 99 character, with the rest of my characters I stopped somewhere end 80 or begin 90.

In D2 you had the same problems that some items were good for every class and then other items were good for that particular class or build.
      Every high end hammerdin or smiter ran around with basically the same gear, same with the lightsorc or the fishymancer.

Getting high in the leaderboards is not just spamming skills (though it is a part of it).
      Give 2 people of the same skill the same toon and tell one to just spam the skill.
      Explain to the other that spamming skills is good and all but there is a certain sequence to it and some other things, the one with hte better explanation will do better.

It is true that PC's have an advantage on Mobile but a mobile can be whipped out almost anywhere, a laptop not so much.

I was just going to post a question on the effect of fps on gameplay, when I came across this one.

The question is, in brief: how bad is low fps?

I'm a relatively new (5weeks), but active player. I'm playing Arcanist on a windows laptop now (switched from mobile because I got blisters once I got decent AR and haste). I'm doing bosses at 30fps, and Garm at 14fps at the lowest setting. I'll try reducing the viewing distance, but it doesn't do much good. I'll try running in a virtual on my Mac to see if it's better...

Point is, I was stuck at Garm119 and tried a lot of different strategies, but it seems my low fps renders most of them impossible. Only one that worked was to double the toughness, so there's less skill involved, but this won't work on 124 or 129, cause I just won't have the dps.

Tried ultra-high haste and AR (2.3k and 2.9k, 3 archers). Slammed 1,2,3 til death and just hovered the mouse on the healing spot when present, and it almost worked. The problem was sometimes I had only 5 or 6 shards when the buffs expired, so if there was no healing spot, I had no chance of survival. I have my combos for blinking out and in with 6-9 shards on, but it's too laggy to do them there. So with this high AR and haste I'd say that the buff should always be on, or at least expire on 8-9 shards.

Does Garm have a slow effect (cause of the poison or sth), or it's just the framerate?

Btw Heikki, I rewatched your video on youtube on farming TL110 and it helped me a ton, so thanks for that! I saw the buff is on (almost) all the time for you. Have you played on 30 or less fps, how does it behave?

Thanks
    Mage: Anba
    Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

• Heikki Gross
      Heikki Gross commented
      Editing a comment
      I typed a looooong answer and the browser closed in my phone and here I go again ....

My lpatop has also low fps, around 30-50 and inwas struggling there as well. Not as much on bossfights, but on mobs. What I found most effective is AR stacking, you will need toughness anyway when reaching higher, since some nobs start to hurt through soft as well. But for me around 3100 AR was doing it. This will hurt your competitiveness a lot since you just give away dops stats to gain that ar and the fps of the device just wont let you do ultra fast clears for example. But lets hope this will somewhat be fixed in the next patch, where they will have ppm system for procs.

• bojck
      bojck commented
      Editing a comment
      damn, I also just opened the 'Support' form and lost my answer

Anyway, thanks for the tip! I haven't tried going that high yet, will give it a go on 124.

I'll also try the extra toughness thing, cause it's quite fun to play - you can tank a ton of mobs; the hard part is to blink out, then push the herd inward and forward with singularities, and also not dying when the soft if off. Dying is worse there, as the mobs scatter. I noticed my singularity and ripple damage going way up this way, but the stormblade stays super low - guess it's the fps...

Mb I'll find a find a friend with a pc for a 'season push', or a gaming club, if they still exist Do hope the new patch reduces the effect of fps. I do feel a bit salty about it now...

Remove factors what favor the PC over mobile (those procs) or make it so that mobile has advantage in one end and PC in another.
    It already has 2 major advantages: Gem income from ads and most importantly, availability.
    I am a PC player mostly and during the ANB events I only do my gold farming on mobile. In the previous ANB Gold I didn't even get the 2nd Celestial, due to not having time to play (45yo father of 3 little ones). In the one after that (the most recent ANB Bronze) I finished with a bit less than 3 hours of available playtime left unused. All these would be non-issues were I a mobile player
    I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Working...
    X