One month report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One month report

I've played the game for almost a month now, and here's my impressions and feedback for the MF team.

TLDR version: Excellent graphics, super easy controls, fun and fast paced gameplay, but hampered by repetitive end game farming and daily quests, and boss one-shot mechanics.

Liked:
    Excellent graphics for a mobile app. Graphics are similar to vanilla WoW.
    Super easy controls; tap to move or attack, drawing symbols for spells/abilities.
    Fun and fast paced gameplay.
    It’s a free game that you don‘t actually have to spend money on.
    Excellent forum community and an active forum admin that responds to questions
    Can play online or off, can also play on PC.
    Frequent updates, improvements, and new content, including the ability to download and play the Beta of new versions and provided feedback.

Didn't like:
    Offering in game currency bribe for 5 star rating.
    Repetitive promotional videos. I routinely get 20-30 of the exact same rolly-ball/hexblock/word cookie videos in a row. In. A. Row.
    Promotional videos destroy mobile data caps.

Repetitive maps for grinding. TBD for gemstones and XP, Trials for set pieces. Over and over, ad nauseum. This needs balancing. Most of the 30 story maps should drop the same amount of gemstones per mob. That TBD/CoW/TT drop so many more gemstones per mob than the others just forces end game grinders to run the same 1 or 2 maps over and over again -- boring.

Repetitive daily missions. The are more mob types than toads, sisters, and skeleton archers; use them. Doing the daily quests on 5 toons is the same thing every day; merlock village x2, siege of ander-something x2. It's stale.

Crafting system at level 70 sucks for everything except weapons. Before level 70 it just sucks period. It's a waste of time to craft anything because by the time it's done you've out-leveled it or found something better.

One-shot boss mechanics that make playing BH a game of run away, run away, run away. This is not compelling game play. In fact it's quite unfun since one cannot shoot and run at the same time and trying to draw a symbol to interrupt a boss mechanic is inconsistent, at best. I'm sure it's easier on the PC version where you can click on abilities but on a mobile device it's frustrating to die to a one-shot mechanic because the symbol wasn't drawn precisely or quickly enough.

Getting BH set drops with block on them. How is that even a thing?

Finally, a word about PvP.
    I recommend separating PvP abilities from PvE. The WoW community endured more that a decade of endless cycles of nerfs/buffs to abilities to appease whoever was the loudest community at the moment. Stuns suck in PvP? Nerf them and listen to the PvE crowd cry that clearing raid mobs is now a wipe fest. Paladin healers suck in PvE? Buff them and then hear the wails of the PvP community about paladins ruling rated matches. After more than a decade Blizzard finally conceded and had skills act differently for PvE and PvP and it became much easer to balance the game.
    WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Interesting read.

I liked all the "Liked".

I wonder why certain maps seem to generate more gems or XP. Could it simply be a function of maps with large mobs in tight groups can be cleared more efficiently & also yield more kills hence more XP & drops? I guess I wouldn't mind if they increased the monster population on all the maps, as an end gamer. But as a new player it would make it hard to complete story mode. And if they increased XP gained from trials, who would play story mode any more? Interesting stuff.

Comment

That's pretty much it. Levels like TBD or TT are pretty crowded with easy to clear mobs and have a guaranteed boss gemstone on top of that. From my observation CoW doesn't drop more gemstones. Just the way it's usually played(only first 2 groups) results in a high mob density and subsequently more gemstones/time than some other maps.
      MULU FIGU DUFE 7374

Comment

Originally posted by Peacedawg View Post
        I wonder why certain maps seem to generate more gems or XP.
        I suspect that the end of act boss maps have a higher reward rate because they're, well, end of act bosses. But I could be wrong. Without knowing the exact mechanics I can't really offer a suggestion on how to fix.

Regardless of the why, it doesn't change the fact that, as it is now, end gamers are doing the same very few maps over and over because of the reward imbalance. I don't think that is good for the long term health of the game. I, for one, would prefer some more variety in my grinding.
        WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

I like a lot of your points. A few observations on the things you have said though :

Originally posted by Travesty View Post

Repetitive promotional videos. I routinely get 20-30 of the exact same rolly-ball/hexblock/word cookie videos in a row. In. A. Row.
          Promotional videos destroy mobile data caps.
          There's a really easy solution for this. Don't watch them. There's even a setting that allows you to turn them off completely. I've been really impressed with how obviously Eternium ISN'T a cash grab. MF lets you support them as you want to and don't force it on you at all.

Repetitive maps for grinding. TBD for gemstones and XP, Trials for set pieces. Over and over, ad nauseum. This needs balancing. Most of the 30 story maps should drop the same amount of gemstones per mob. That TBD/CoW/TT drop so many more gemstones per mob than the others just forces end game grinders to run the same 1 or 2 maps over and over again -- boring.
          There's something to be said for balancing for sure, but there will *always* be a most efficient way to do things. If you care about being the most efficient, you'll find it. If you care more about enjoying all of the parts of the game, do that and don't try to find the most efficient way to do things.

Crafting system at level 70 sucks for everything except weapons. Before level 70 it just sucks period. It's a waste of time to craft anything because by the time it's done you've out-leveled it or found something better.
          I believe they've stated crafting is going to be overhauled

One-shot boss mechanics that make playing BH a game of run away, run away, run away. This is not compelling game play. In fact it's quite unfun since one cannot shoot and run at the same time and trying to draw a symbol to interrupt a boss mechanic is inconsistent, at best. I'm sure it's easier on the PC version where you can click on abilities but on a mobile device it's frustrating to die to a one-shot mechanic because the symbol wasn't drawn precisely or quickly enough.
          I actually didn't enjoy BH as much for this reason - but that's not to say BH is necessarily poorly designed - it might just be a playstyle you don't enjoy.

Last edited by leminlime; 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leminlime View Post
            There's a really easy solution for this. Don't watch them. There's even a setting that allows you to turn them off completely.
            Thanks, but I hope you didn’t think I was unaware of that. I chose to watch the videos until I received an alert from my carrier after blowing through 80% of my data cap in the first 2 weeks of the billing cycle, then I promptly turned them off.

I did not say nor imply MF was forcing promotional videos on me. The point I was trying to make to the dev team is that mobile data limits may be a pain point for some users. A possible improvement may be to do what Pandora does and offer the option to download content to the phone while on WiFi (promotional videos, in this case) so that the app doesn’t use as much mobile data.

There's something to be said for balancing for sure, but there will *always* be a most efficient way to do things.
            Yes, there will always be a most efficient way to do things but if the efficiency difference is small then players are less conflicted about how to grind. However, the efficiency difference right now is significant. I never leave TBD without 5-10 gemstones, while other maps have dropped 2 gemstones total over five runs.

That big of a gap causes some players to feel funneled into repetitive content in order to meet their in-game goals. In my experience that’s not good for the long term health of most games. The dev team may feel otherwise.

I actually didn't enjoy BH as much for this reason - but that's not to say BH is necessarily poorly designed - it might just be a playstyle you don't enjoy.
            I didn’t mean to imply that BH is poorly designed. But I do suspect that the ‘run-away-to-avoid-one-shot-mechanics’ play style won’t appeal to very many players, and those players tend to vote with their feet because there’s just too many other games out there.

I appreciate your reply, and I just want to reiterate my post isn't intended as a, “please fix the game to suit me personally.” It's just feedback for the dev team from a new player.

WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

Finally, a word about PvP.
              I recommend separating PvP abilities from PvE. ... Stuns suck in PvP? Nerf them and listen to the PvE crowd cry that clearing raid mobs is now a wipe fest..
              The first start to PvP in this game would be so fun!

BH vs Warrior... game of hide and seek...

BH immediately goes smoke screen at start of fight...
              Warrior is left with nothing to hit.... left gawping at air...
              BH sneaks off to the far corner of the map... waits for CD on Smoke... Snipe and hide...
              sneaks while snickering pass the confounded warrior charging towards that corner...
              BH long gone to the other far end...

this repeats till the warrior is wittered down... in 2 - 3 hours... cos nothing to hit = no LOH...

But then! BH got sloppy and missed a CD on Smoke!
              or
              Warrior get lucky random Pre-fire AOE Stun at the location BH comes out to snipe!

Warrior Shouts in triumph and chain stuns and smashing BH dead in 1-2 seconds.

Mage vs Warrior is a hands down Warrior win... (pounce(Leap)/charge, stun, wack, stun, wack, stun, dead...)
              Mage vs BH is a hands down Mage win... (Mage longer range stuns ) +
              (yes rapid + concussion packs heat but mage's deflecting shield though...)

BH = "Skill" (carpal tunnel)
              Last edited by Nightlyric; 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM.
              Self-cleaning Bunny...
              If my post don't make me smile on re-read...
              *poof!*~~ It's gone... (In my mouth it goes!)
              ~om~nom~nom~nom...
              Making the world a funny place~ one bunny-pellet at a time~

Comment

I agree with all the OP's points. I was under the impression ad videos *were* downloaded to your phone, though... at least I had some in my old phone's cache. I haven't watched ads in quite a while, so it may have changed.

Also, +1 for "siege of ander-something" (though the simpler way is just "The Fiery Pits" x5).

Comment

Originally posted by Nightlyric View Post
                  this repeats till the warrior is wittered down... in 2 - 3 hours... cos nothing to hit = no LOH...
                  There's still Life Regeneration!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post

There's still Life Regeneration!
                    quite unlikely people made a pure Life Reg/pure armor/Dodge/Vit sets just to PvP... but who knows? it just might be the new insane Warrior meta with PvP!
                    ... although damage output from BH is quite good with crit stacks... and good AR... yes...
                    I do believe the BH Can win against any warrior eventually after a few hours (Days?) eventually each match...

Hard to see any other class benefiting or out pacing warriors in PvP currently... (I think.... please correct me if mistaken)

Personally looking forward to a Co-op PvE so much more then PvP... the current game works well with PvE...

HA Ha now imagining a BH vs BH match!

Match Start!
                    *Poof* both gone...
                    Match spectators.: "Well... This is Awkward... " *crickets cheeping*

(BH can't exit smoke screen till she attacks something)
                    Edit: just verified... using any skill will exit smoke... so imagine both BHs popping in and out of smoke blindly shooting RS + concuss)

AH hahahaha!!!

oh crap! this could be a problem for PvP! should I post this any where else?
                    Senior Players? Can't find where to post this Question!
                    Searching forum for "BH vs BH" or "PvP" or "Smoke in PVP" yields too many results...

Meh.. others probably already though of this and had their laugh... *gives up searching posts*
                    still new to this forum...
                    Last edited by Nightlyric; 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM.
                    Self-cleaning Bunny...
                    If my post don't make me smile on re-read...
                    *poof!*~~ It's gone... (In my mouth it goes!)
                    ~om~nom~nom~nom...
                    Making the world a funny place~ one bunny-pellet at a time~

Comment

I also just finished my first month of playing and admit I quite enjoy it thus far. Guides helped a lot and now I just grind exp with my warrior (CL 441 so far). Just joined the forums as I figure I will be playing for some time. I have been a long time Diablo player so I don't mind grinding for exp and gear. Play it mostly on my phone so it is a handy time killer.

Comment

Getting BH set drops with block on them. How is that even a thing?

ABOUT. TIME. SOMEBODY. BROUGHT. THIS. UP. Thanks!
                        In precisionem non est in perfectionem.

[The pursuit of] Precision is not perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by IPNEIP View Post

ABOUT. TIME. SOMEBODY. BROUGHT. THIS. UP. Thanks!
                          Was brought up before but finally fixed this coming patch.

Originally posted by Red (Developer) View Post
                          • Equipment with Parry Rating or Block Rating will no longer drop for Mages and Bounty Hunters.
                          HATO ZAKA LOCO 4594

Comment

Working...
                          X