Another last post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another last post

While I can say "nothing is forever", I, like others am just done with this game for now. The only way I feel I can protest what is happening to it is to stop paying my monthly 3.99 $US and uninstall the game. The Beta changed so much that it is simply not enjoyable anymore.

I have played casually for the past two years and nine months across two different accounts (lost my first one when I changed phones), grinded out some 800 combined Champion Levels and spent exactly 102.83 $US on the game in that time, not including ads watched to support MakingFun. Yes, I feel I got my money worth on it, but I none the less feel cheated about it.

The Controversial

Experience Boosters - Boosting 50%, 100% and 200% Experience for 30 minutes is considered "Pay to Win" aka P2W by many. While I understand that sentiment, I am more upset over the fact that I spent years to get where I am at only to realize I could have started "today" and get to exactly where I am at in a month. That's being conservative too.

Gem/Gold Boosters - Boosting 50%, 100% and 200% Gems and up to 400% gold production for 30 minutes is more broken than the experience boosters. Why? Because it was the one and only way people who played this game could get better gear and become better. Now, these boosters allot the player an ability to bypass much of that grinding and be just as good as anyone in the top tiers much faster.

The Frustrating

Increased Trial Experience - While I was timid to the idea of increased experience in trials from the onset of the Beta for similar reasons to Experience boosters, the frustrating part is that ANYONE can level a character to lvl 70 without even finishing the first Act of story mode. I know, I did it on my 5th character just to see if I could. What's the big deal about that? It changes the mechanics of the game such that story mode has been rendered irrelevant. Literally making it a different game altogether.

Increased Drop Rates - I was happy at first that I was getting a plethora of named item and set piece drops, I really refined my gear and got some great sets. However, the constant barrage of them resulted in a filled up inventory and honestly, a feeling that it was no longer a big deal to get them. Thus, the "reward" of spending grind time to get new, better pieces was lost. I suddenly felt angry that all my years of time grinding for something better was absolutely negated in three short weeks.

The Good

Changed Mechanics - I feel the balancing of classes and the attention to mobs/bosses was great. It really did make the game more challenging in the long run, but still feel it is difficult to move around bosses like Magroth and TBD on a small mobile screen (It is virtually impossible to move "UP" to avoid them when Magroth is enraged and just as equally difficult on any boss when in an alcove/cul-da-sac or corner).

Added content - The advent of soon to be released new bosses, the trial ladders and reworked mobs are a great thing. Coupling those with ACT IV, PvP and hometown will be great. Sadly, even those will not be enough to bring back veteran players who feel cheated or turned off by the P2W prospects of the game.

The Great

Attention - This game stagnated for some time, not because they did not care, but because they did not have the resources at MakingFun to do what they are doing now. It is fantastic that the company is finally capable of hiring people to enhance this game and others into something more. I fully expect there to be a lot more people playing this game in the coming year or so as a result of that attention. Again though, it's not the type of game for many of us from the original community.

Summary

Over the past two years I've made a lot of friends in this community, I've enjoyed the heck out of this game through that time, but I simply find no appeal to the game after several of the recent Beta additions. I am burned out from testing things, submitting bug reports, providing feedback, helping out the community and am left ultimately feeling like we, the original community of Mage & Minions got screwed at the end of the day.

This game, like others invented by MakingFun's CEO John Welch was built on the idea that people can go as casually or as dedicated as they want to and still feel rewarded by those efforts. This is no longer the case and as far as I am concerned, is no longer a John Welch title either.

I'll be lingering on Discord, playing other games and chatting in communities that share a common interest, but I will not be playing Eternium while several of the current items remain. It is simply not in my best interest anymore.
    Last edited by c0mad0r; 11-01-2017, 07:08 PM.
    HAME POPU QAHA 0909

While I do not share all of your views, I have to commend the very structured and unbiased way with which you expressed them.

Comment

Yay you put it in the right section
      Bye, good luck finding a game you enjoy!

Comment

See ya on Discord, c0m,

Comment

If there is another game out there in the same genre worth playing, i'd love to know what it is.
          RAKO LOJA CUSE 8372 - Coldet and VADA YOHI XUVA 4984 - Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Coldet View Post
            If there is another game out there in the same genre worth playing, i'd love to know what it is.
            Pixel Dungeon is a great time killer.
            https://www.youtube.com/shootbigbucks
            MIJA FOXI POWU 7631

Comment

Very sorry to see you go. I wonder how many more it's going to take before they get the message
              In the beginning there was nothing then it exploded

Comment

Best wishes C0mad0r! Very well constructed, non-rant post by a player that spent a lotta dough on the game. Really liked your statement that you got your monies worth. Class. I’m still waiting on .59 to go public so I can form an opinion on the changes. Peace dude!

Comment

Hey c0m. I was expecting this but am glad to see you'll still be around Discord. As Peacedawg said - that was very well-constructed feedback.

I have met so many highly intelligent, awesome people on this forum/Discord! I've spent a similar amount on the game as you (probably more) and it's been worth it for this alone.
                  It's been worth it for the game, too.

Straddling the ground between Newb and Vet, my sentiments are very similar to yours, but tempered by my Newbness.
                  While I'm not contemplating quitting, my game time has dwindled significantly since the booster update.

Because I'm not a multiplayer type, the ease of the game for others doesn't affect me, but I find the "work" needed for rewards (gemstones, gear, experience) is now too low for me to enjoy the game as much as I did. I could avoid using boosters, but the cramped inventory space makes me feel compelled to either sell gear (or perfect uncommon jewelry) I want to keep or to use currency boosters so I can craft jewelry to free some inventory.

What really hooked me on this game:
                  The grind: I love the grind, but I recognize I may be in a minority.
                  The numbers: You know how I love my charts.
                  The people: So many smart/cool people play this game! I'm sad to see you and other vets I've met go. Anyone is welcome to friend me on Steam (heyjude1971). I'm not very chatty there, but I am there a lot. (Already found a few of you.)

Let's see what the future brings for Eternium!

Departing vets: I humbly ask that you check back now and then to see what changes have occurred.

Incoming newbs: Please don't be discouraged by the recent negative feedback from vets. It's a great game! It's in transition now and many more transitions are on the horizon.
                  I think many of the changes vets don't care for are aimed at pleasing you. Give it a go, have fun, and I'll see you in Eternium!
                  Cerberus
                  SESA YIFI CICE 9356

Comment

When I started playing this game, I started by looking for a highly rated game. No sense in wasting efforts on junk. Eternium is a good game. The grind? <Sigh>I did the first 300 levels with a character running a little over 120 experience. Got a mage up leveled to high experience. Whose fault? Hey, this is a simple game, right? Learning is where it is at. Warrior developed sitting in a parking lot waiting for SM to open in Bacolod. Same thing with mage getting shifted to heavy experience (still not the best, but tolerable).

This is a big change for the game. Will I play the multiplayer? Probably not due to issues of cheating on other games by unscrupulous players. This game is for enjoyment, not to be a stress generator.

I like the people on here and it is sad to see some of the long term players leaving. If the changes are too troublesome, there will be changes, count on that. Try something and it doesn't work well? Backtrack and go off in another direction. Is the game of today what was first rolled out? Nope. Will the game of tomorrow be different? Probably.

Comment

Sorry to see another good guy bail. Hope things are improved shortly, to lure you back!
                      My friend code is DONO MUGE JIZI 9874 -- sounds naughty to me!

Comment

Working...
                      X