question: triple frost vs frost w/ immolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question: triple frost vs frost w/ immolate

For elemental beamers: what's the benefit of Frost Nova/Immolate/FrostBeam over Frost Nova/Blizzard/Frost Beam with the Incinerate enchant on weapon?

Just about every Frost Beam mage I look at on the leaderboards is using the former, with ALL sorts of different enchants, from Slayer to lightning.

In my (very!) unscientific testing, there might be just the slightest damage edge for Nova/Immolate/Beam, but I just can't say for sure.

What I do know is that Thermal Shock is proccing just fine with the triple-frost/Incinerate approach; I figured the Blizzard mob slow effect would be more helpful than whatever minor damage Immolate does.

But if that's so great, why don't I see -anyone- else using it? The players in the top 100 obviously know what's useful, and I just can't figure it out.

Thoughts/advice welcome.
    Last edited by echomirage; 07-31-2020, 09:49 PM.
    2x Mage Huffjenkem
    BH Ichifuku
    Warrior Fhqwhgads
    Warrior Yassqueen

Ive been struggling with this also, immolate and the shatter effect is just so underwhelming. I’ve been experimenting with nova/timewarp/beam and seeing good results.
    Last edited by Citizen055; 07-31-2020, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Shatter is about rounding up the mobs and immolate is about that one sentence really ... “affected targets take up to 45% more damage ...”

Comment

• Citizen055
        Citizen055 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did some more testing and damage-wise both timewarp and immolate give roughly the same damage but immolate can be used before every cast of frostbeam instead of every other, so immolate is probably better. But where you say it’s needed to draw aggro, I haven’t seen the same in my playing. I seem to get plenty of aggro just as fast without shatter, and with shatter I often attract attention of mobs I don’t plan on and in higher trials that sometimes kills me if I get unlucky. Obviously dying wastes tons of time- the 3 seconds is nothing it’s how all the mobs get bored and wander off. Don’t they know I’m about to get back up snd slaughter them?
        Last edited by Citizen055; 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM.

Exactly as mahara said. Keeping aggro is key, otherwise time warp would be better than immo
      Mage: Anba
      Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

• echomirage
        echomirage commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha. This makes sense.
    Working...
    X