Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal shock super variable vs bosses?

Hello again!

When using thermal shock sometimes I do TONS of damage, and sometimes it's like it doesn't even trigger. Not sure why. So, who among you knows...

- Does the boss NEED to be frozen (or counted as) prior to frostfire beam?
    - If my frost nova cooldown isn't fast enough to cast it both right before and right after beam, which is better? The extra damage for target being frozen (which means fire damage over time is decreasing until frost nova is ready again), or beam without frozen to cast nova as soon as beam is done to capitalize on burn over time damage? This is most relevant for ANBs.
    - Does the post-beam nova need to hit a target to trigger thermal shock? According to the description it sounds like you just have to cast it, not hit with it. I sometimes wonder if I'm missing hitting the boss cause I'm not 100% sure where to cast.
    - What part of the sign used to cast a spell is counted as the actual target location of the spell? In other words, if I draw a V from left-to-right, is it the top left point of the V? Bottom? Center of the entire sign?

I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks again for your help!

Good question actually, I've noticed it also

Comment

Thermal shock does big damage only when it crits.

You do want the target to be frozen when you beam, because beam does double damage. There's no need to cast nova immediately before beaming - just make sure that northern wind is up! Check the icon for that. Try to cast nova immediately after beaming to get the maximum thermal shock damage. It's better to always target sth when casting nova, cause it adds to the northern wind duration.
      Mage: Anba
      Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

• Andriks Salvatierra
        Andriks Salvatierra commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the tip!! I was able to do tl122 in 6 minutes now knowing this! I couldn't beat it before

• Sarz
        Sarz commented
        Editing a comment
        So, interesting note: In the current ANB I decided to try a fire lily build, which I've never done before. Everything else is the same, but obviously no crit stats. Yet I am still getting massive damage from thermal shock. How can that happen if I can't crit?

Was inspired by video posted by bojck to figure out wtf.. Took me a bit since last I used my mage any was before GMC. I had to figure out how I was doing it.., I was doing it, but I didn't know how. I figured it out, so I figured I'd share. ;) Hope you enjoy.
      QUJI GUFE GOKO 2635
      Hacker, not to be confused with cheater or cracker

Comment

• Andriks Salvatierra
        Andriks Salvatierra commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the video, very helpful! I would never watch if northern wind was up, I would just spam abilities. Now knowing this it changes my gameplay greatly!! Thank you again

Originally posted by bojck View Post
      better to always target sth when casting nova
      Having a devil of a time looking this up; what’s sth?
      2x Mage Huffjenkem
      BH Ichifuku
      Warrior Fhqwhgads
      Warrior Yassqueen

Comment

• bojck
        bojck commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha it's a something I mean try to hit any mob/boss

• echomirage
        echomirage commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, hah! I thought for sure it was another Eternium abbreviation I hadn’t heard of. Funny!

Great question concerning the drawing of symbols to cast. Anyone got an answer?

Comment

• Skyla
        Skyla commented
        Editing a comment
        Testing with charge and by drawing the sign really big on the screen, it's dead center mass of the sign.

• echomirage
        echomirage commented
        Editing a comment
        Smart. I can confirm this behavior, at least on iOS.
    Working...
    X