Why is the "Rank 50 Immolate" so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the "Rank 50 Immolate" so bad?

A simple test. Fire lily on, no passives AB as the primary and just immolate as the only skill. All apprentice stuff crafted with the starting level of 1 at green rarity with just life on hit and of course no weapon.

My Immolate is currently level 7 this consist of the skill having "Deals 105% weapon dmg, Affected targets take up to 45% more dmg and enemies burn for additional 50% weapon dmg".

With no weapon I find that Immolate proc has 11 casts, 11 dmg/cast and 127 dmg total while Immolate has 11 casts 14 dmg/cast and 160 dmg total. Not quite sure the total adds up here but it's what the game says, since the values are quite close together I thought I'd go ahead and test with a weapon to see how much more difference there is between them.
    Testing with just my Igneus staff I find that Immolate proc has 11 casts, 17447 dmg/cast and 191.9k dmg total while Immolate has 11 casts 21898 dmg/cast and 240.9k dmg total.
    Just remembered that Igneus has the 25% bonus fire dot effect so I crafted a green starting level 1 staff with life on hit.
    With this staff I find that Immolate proc has 11 casts, 645 dmg/cast and 7096 dmg total while Immolate has 11 casts 811 dmg/cast and 8922 dmg total.

Clearly this "Rank 50" means next to nothing it is even worse than a level 7 Immolate. So the next question is which part exactly of the Immolate does the proc version have or not have or is weaker than, compared to the skill. I clearly see the fire dot on both instances so I can confirm 100% that the "Additional 50% weapon dmg burn" applies to the proc but only assume that targets take up to 45% more dmg also applies (if it has the 2nd special effect from the original skill it should have the 1st one too right?).

As a quick note with the green staff the proc burn dot deals 106 dmg/sec and normal skill does 106 dmg/sec also which makes sense since my weapon dmg doesn't just magically change somehow when I use the skill compared to the proc.

If the 45% dmg buff did not apply to the proc then would I not see this discrepancy somewhere in the difference in damage? This surely would mean the skill Immolate should have at maximum 1.45x the dmg dealt compared to the proc. This would mean the Immolate skill should have dealt (using the green staff number) 7096 x 1.45 = 10289.2. From the number the Immolate skill does only about 8922/7096 = 1.26 (to 2 dp) times more damage than the proc. Note the 26% value is consistent with the other 2 tests (160/127 = 1.259 to 3dp and 240.9/191.9 = 1.255 to 3dp). The observation here is that it is more logical to conclude that the Rank 50 Immolate is simply the same as the Immolate skill but with smaller numbers than to claim that the 45% extra dmg is an effect missing on the Rank 50 version but not the skill variant.

Does allowing crit make a massive difference or is it just the case that this Rank 50 means diddly squat in front of everything else? Am I testing this wrong or is there some hidden secret about this Rank 50 I don't know or understand?

As a bonus question how would I test exactly how much damage the "protective shield" absorbs from the 4 set bonus of this seemingly horrendous set? Or if anyone already knows that would also be nice

As a fun thought experiment, set the dmg of the Immolate skill to 1 (or 100%) then the proc deals 7096/8922 = 0.80 (to 2 dp) about 79 to 80% of the original skill in which case the Rank of an Immolate on par with my lvl 7 Immolate would have to be (100/80) x 50 = Rank 62.5 Immolate. What rank of Immolate would make this proc actually useful? like Rank 125?
    Last edited by ; 10-17-2022, 11:14 PM.

What is "rank 50 immolate"? Can you screen shot?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      There's no description of the actual skill. It's the 6 piece set bonus of the Apprentice set. Where the effect of said 6 piece set bonus is and I quote "You have a 10% chance to cast a rank 50 Immolate on target when attacking,". That's literally all the info I can find on it other than testing this thing myself in training grounds. I too wish there was a description of rank or the details of this effect which are not immediately obvious.

There's something wrong with the 6p Apprentice bonus, I also get the same damage in training grounds for immolate lvl 10 and immolate proc (or lower for the proc). Even if it was lvl 50 as advertised, its damage will be insignificant... It's not nearly enough to trigger proper thermal shock.

btw in training grounds it's best to use a firelily, and avoid using any buffs that affect damage, e.g. power infusion, osmosis, etc.
    Mage: Anba
    Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      If I were to craft some build to make use of this Apprentice set then it'd have to be mad off meta to be something so twisted and unrecognizable as even a tactic, perhaps it'd be "Least Effective Tactics Available"?

Appreciate the testing advice, it has been duly noted and will be used where applicable in my further testing.
Working...
X