Noob question: Trinkets clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob question: Trinkets clarification

I know it's probably obvious but do higher level unique trinkets have a higher AOE?

I.E. I've noticed that my L25 legendary VOtW is not doing the same amount of damage at higher level trials as my basic weapon damage. If I upped it to L70+ would that increase it's range despite having the same basic effect?

​​​​​Thanks.

Just a quick consideration before a more knowledgeable player responds. I presume with AOE you mean the haste stacks attribute of the Vowel of Wind spirits and my guess would be that this does not change linked to itemLvl. The relative damage does change however..
    * leveling up gear (and 25 to 70 is a huge step) improves the other stats you have on it and the chance to choose more appropriate ones * remember that the 'true' dmg of haste is always relative to the other dmg-adding stats (power, possibly the crits and AR), meaning : once you start to have plenty of haste elsewhere, the 'true-relative' power of haste weakens....

...hope this helps as a first quick answer
    Backyard FireLily (gloriosa superba)
    [ BrokenGarm , LenniGold , LenniXP ]

Comment

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you are clearly not knowledgeable at all. You never, ever give good information or ask good questions.

• Bali_Lenni
      Bali_Lenni commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the flowers Tin Man ;- )

Can't say that I have ever seen a discussion about trinkets having a varying AoE as their level increases. I expect the answer is no but have no basis for that belief.

Out of curiosity, to which "basic weapon damage" do refer.

The VotWS has a fixed multiple of weapon damage. Yeah, some weapons have special effects or stacking effects or impacted by abilities and such that cause massive amounts of damage to be caused. Just trying to understand to what you are comparing the VotWS.

Comment

Well, the reason:

When comparing others in the Leaderboard I've seen the VOtWS at higher TL (is that the Abb. for Trial Levels...still learning them) has a kick ass amount of damage. Much like the Mage's Forbidden Knowledge set. Which is why I spent the glory on the VOtWS. At lower TL, with L25 Leg, it was exactly as expected.

But now that I'm at higher TL the VOtWS is 2nd from the bottom of the damage stat list. Using the Igniter set, both@Leg (L72&L73), my SB from Demo, ES & LS (in that order), even FT, are all doing better than the VOtWS.

I understand the extras will increase at higher levels (EG, XP, AR, HR) but balance out to make less difference, and the item special effect is the same Leg to Leg. Because the Dam from the VOtWS will remain at 15k%, and my weapons are so much better Dam than they were, the only thing I can think of is that higher level trinket will increase the AOE.

Also my current VOtWS was socketed on creation, with ML34 sockets aren't a sure thing, and I'd like to keep it instead of gems. Also I'm low on GE butI'll just have to wearthat If I need to update the trinket.

Does that clear up my thinking, or am I full of dragon crap?
      Last edited by RavenSirius; 02-10-2023, 03:13 AM.

Comment

From a Training Grounds test. I selected 'Single Target Damage". Used Mage, with Frostbolt on auto-attack and no other skills, abilities or passives. For gear I crafted a lvl 3 legendary Firelily to prevent crits skewing results. I then crafted a lvl 1 legendary VotWS and a lvl 75 VotWS. The only gear equiped for tests were the Firelily and VotWS, so no armour, no weapons, no belt, no bracer, no cape and no jewellery. The stats used for all items were Life Regen, LoH, Deflect Rating and Dodge rating - all useless so they wouldn't impact the results. I set the character to auto-attack and waited for VotWS to proc 10 times and record the damage done.

Level 1 VotWS did 174.8k damage in 10 procs
        Level 75 VotWS did 174.8k damage in 10 procs

Exactly the same, as expected per the item description, level didn't matter.

I suspect what you are seeing in Trials is the relative damage of VotWS as an overall % of damage reducing as you reach higher Trials. In low level fights VotWS can instantly kill enemies and therefore be a major contributor to your dps. After about Trial 60 it is much less effective and your other abilities and skills coming into play more and more, so on your damage stats you'll see VotWS dropping down the list in terms of overall damage dealt.

Comment

• RavenSirius
          RavenSirius commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice (expensive!) methodology.

Training grounds had not occured to me.

But thanks for undertaking the question in such a fashion. It certainly seems you have answered the LDam question. The thing, though, is AOE at higher level Leg. Which I believe would not be able to be tested in the training grounds as they are close quarters fighting only. Using Mage FK set as an example I have seen the AOE increase, despite enemy LvL, to the point where I've come across enemy clusters reduced to items far off the screen to my location when the CR went out. Hence the question about trinket AOE.
          Last edited by RavenSirius; 02-10-2023, 03:30 AM. Reason: typo

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it's extremely hard to test out in Trials to see if VotWS has a range variation since so many more variables come into play - how many mobs are in range being the biggest problem. All I can think of for testing in Trials is to video a run with Floating Numbers switched on and then watch back to see if there is a difference in range. I'll have a look into that after some sleep. If, as I suspect, there is no difference in the range of the AoE then the difference between the performance of VotWS between different players will be down to playstyle - size of mob pulls, distance between the hero and the mob blob when VotWS procs etc. I think I'll do a full map pull and then string the blob out into a line and record how far a lvl 1 VotWS hits and compare with my normal lvl 77, since we've established base damage is identical. I'll see what I can do tomorrow to dig a bit deeper
          Last edited by ; 02-10-2023, 03:40 AM.

• RavenSirius
          RavenSirius commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be cool to see the results of that.

I've had a go at validating the range of the VotWS firstly with the lvl 1 one as described in post #5 and then with my normal lvl 77. I tried to line up the blob in a similar position for when VotWS fired off and recorded runs using the lvl 1 and lvl 77 trinket. Next off to chop out a couple of frames taken at the same moment in the VotWS damage process and then draw lines out to various mobs being hit. Finally I stuck the two images into a video editor and cross faded over the two to compare the ranges. The red lines at the start of video show the range of the level 1 item and then fade over to green lines for the level 77. I'm confident in saying the range of both trinkets is identical in this test.

Comment

• RavenSirius
          RavenSirius commented
          Editing a comment
          Well that certainly seems to answer the question. ?

Apart from the glitchy video, but that could be on my end, Wispy2.0 that's an award winning effort. Thank you.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, playback is not as good as it could be. Might make an improved one tomorrow to see if that helps

• RavenSirius
          RavenSirius commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like, but you already get the prize for best answer in the thread!
      Working...
      X