medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medals

Let me start by saying I hate the very idea of medals with the passion of a burning sun. They break the game by creating a permanent caste system which could drive me away from this game.

So how about some limits? For instance, only being eligible for 1 of each medal per event (including all leagues), and if you place high enough to get another one it goes to someone else.

Or mixing up the medal rewards so everyone has a chance at all of the medals and the best ones don't get concentrated in the same 10 players.

Or not having medals apply during events.

Or awarding medals based on cumulative 'points' earned, which carry over from event to event.

Or almost anything but the current system.

It was said by adrian at the discord that after level 10 the amount of stats you take from medals is around 1. So even top player gets plenty of medals ,at level 20 that wont be too much of a diff.

Lets say at medal of knowledge at level 1 you get 5% exp and gold , but at level two you get 8% exp and gold . So I dont think its a big of advantage. Also its a merit for joining an event.

Comment

The problem is that mobile players will never be able to compete for the top10 (rare exceptions allowed, but very rare). So it isn’t a question of diminishing returns. But rather you won’t have any of the top medals period if only source is lb during anb events.
      GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

One of the issues though is that it now gives "top players" advantage in future events, where player were supposed to be on a somewhat level field - except for gems, game knowledge and skills...

With the medals, those who scored high in the current leagues will get the head start in future leagues, which means they'll just keep on getting more and more medals... New players will need to somehow "bridge the gap" to even stand a chance of getting any medals at all...
        Eternium Files - links and details Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post
          One of the issues though is that it now gives "top players" advantage in future events, where player were supposed to be on a somewhat level field - except for gems, game knowledge and skills...

With the medals, those who scored high in the current leagues will get the head start in future leagues, which means they'll just keep on getting more and more medals... New players will need to somehow "bridge the gap" to even stand a chance of getting any medals at all...
          ​​​​​​+1
          So i think the best way to keep the league fair is to not include the medals in the event.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
            Let me start by saying I hate the very idea of medals with the passion of a burning sun. They break the game by creating a permanent caste system which could drive me away from this game.

So how about some limits? For instance, only being eligible for 1 of each medal per event (including all leagues), and if you place high enough to get another one it goes to someone else.

Or mixing up the medal rewards so everyone has a chance at all of the medals and the best ones don't get concentrated in the same 10 players.

Or not having medals apply during events.

Or awarding medals based on cumulative 'points' earned, which carry over from event to event.

Or almost anything but the current system.
            My point of view is: The medals are a way for dedicated players to show off their achievements. The advantages the medals offer are rather minor. If it's always the same top 10 players, great! They put in the time and effort and deserve recognition.

I did notice that the devs put some thought into the medal system as the top 10 players do not always receive the same medal. Bronze Event: The top 10 received the Vigor medal, Silver event it's The Heroism medal. Going on a limb here the Gold event will award the Glory medal for the top 10.

From what I gather every active player will have a shot at every medal. At some point.

To keep the non top tier players engaged: I was thinking perhaps there could be randomized medal reward. So everyone has a chance to get whatever medal/s.

Cumulative points medal - Sounds more like a participation trophy.

Comment

If you want to recognize achievement, give them something cosmetic. Don't give them a permanent advantage.

As to the advantages being minor, after the gold event if someone finishes top 10 in all 3 they will have 18 medals. That will be something like 30 power and vitality, 10% experience and gold, CR and CD, armor, everything. That is essentially having a radiant of every type of jewelry socketed for free. Do that in another series of events and you have exceeded a brilliant of each type. That's minor?

The game used to be fair. Everyone could get everything if they just played long enough. Then they introduced celestials, and those who had them had a huge edge over those who didn't. But you could get one just by reaching a certain level, so casual players would just take longer. But now the medals are an edge that A) will never be able to be made up and B) requires placement on the leaderboard. So if someone starts playing tomorrow, how will they ever catch up?

And as for switching up the medals, its great that they are switching up the reward for the top 10, but they aren't doing that at lower levels. If you aren't in the top 100 you don't have access to 4 of the 6 medals, period. Not good enough.

They make the event time limited to create a more even playing field and then deliberately tilt it by creating medals. I just don't get it.

Comment

how will they ever catch up?
                Are you updated of the mage leaderboard? Compare the top two player and ask the same question again .

If you want to recognize achievement, give them something cosmetic. Don't give them a permanent advantage.
                Try putting your place on the developer's shoes, do you think cosmetics is enough to encourage players to join the event? If thats the case I would just grind and not waste my time and money on the event.

​​​

Comment

1) I don't play mage and I don't follow the main leaderboards. But looking at them, great, one player who is over CL 2000 has an edge. Has that changed in the last 2 days when medals have been in play (I don't know). Reset the leaderboards after the gold event rewards have been distributed and get back to me.

2) Yes, it should be enough. Tons of people played with no hope of finishing high enough for medals. Other games exist with a model of paying for skin changes. And the devs of this game have specifically said they want an even playing field and players have bought in to that. If people play obsessively to get a higher spot on a leaderboard they will play to get a visual distinction (esp when multiplayer goes live).

Comment

For realsies... Black armor skins, chainmail bikinis, and pirate outfits are like a license to print money... Make some hogwarts-looking robes for the Mage and you can start swimming around in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.

Never underestimate how much endgame is spent standing in town looking at how awesome your toon is.
                    Last edited by Trouble; 03-06-2019, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post
                      For realsies... Black armor skins, chainmail bikinis, and pirate outfits are like a license to print money... Make some hogwarts-looking robes for the Mage and you can start swimming around in gold coins like Scrooge McDuck.

Never underestimate how much endgame is spent standing in town looking at how awesome your toon is.
                      100% that. I myself would invest in skins. Especially considering how terrible the default skins look like.

Comment

Working...
                      X