An Analysis of Whirlwind and Devastate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Analysis of Whirlwind and Devastate

Whirlwind occupies a special spot in the hierarchy of warrior skills. Among the active skills, it is the only mobbing centric skill, warrior's AOE. Sure there are other skills that do aoe damage such as charge and leap. But the damage from those are so pitiful, no viable build can be based on those. Charge is really a buff skill more than a damage skill. Shockwave is something entirely different. It is healing, finisher, damage reduction all rolled into one. It is a great skill, no question about it. However shockwave can't realize its potential all on its own. Besides it's the signature skill for the bleed build.

Whirlwind should be the signature skill for the warrior direct damage build. But if we go through an actual analysis of what it does, its failings are plain to see.

Damage Output (DPS)

Premise: AOE skill should outdamage single target skill especially against a mob. There is a question on what is that proper tipping point. We can get a sense of that by looking at two normal attacks.

Assumptions: Attack speed 9 attacks per second (with frenzy 30% AS and archers buff), 1500% critical damage (this is easily achievable now with lv75 gear), 60% crit rate (very very obtainable with constant charge buff)

Frenzy is clearly a single target skill. At max level, 580% per hit with 25% chance to strike twice. This translates to 11.25 attacks per second. At 580% * 11.25 = 6525% per second.
    Cleave is clearly an AOE skill. At max level, 350% per hit to multiple targets in front of the warrior. 350% * 9 = 3150% per second.

So Cleave will output more overall damage than frenzy when the targets is slightly more than 2. Now personally I prefer to see a ratio closer to 4. But at least here is a data point using existing attack skill in game.

Let's turn our attention to whirlwind and devastate, and see what that ratio is, meaning how large the mob needs to be in order for whirlwind to output more damage than devastate.

Whirlwind max level 900% * 1.25 when DW. So let's call it 1125%.
    Devastate max level 6000% per hit for 13 hits over 1.2secs. This translates to about 10.833 attacks per second. But a key element that's missing here is that devastate is buff'd by flurry, a passive buff that effectively doubles the devastate/deadly throw damage and increases crit damage by 400% at 10/max stack. It's actually quite easy to maintain the 10/max flurry stack before all devastate cast. In fact the flurry empowered devastate is the standard operating procedure for any LB aspiring DW.

Since flurry passive has an impact on CD, we need to include its effect in a proper comparison.

So WW sits at 1125% * 9 attacks = 10125% per second per target. Critical damage multiplier at 1500% CD * 60% crit rate = 900% + 40% = 904%. Combined it yields 91,530% per second per target.

Devastate hits for 12000% * 10.833 attacks = 1299996% or let's just call it 130000% per second on a single target. Critical damage multiplier at 1900% (400% flurry CD bonus) * 60% crit rate = 1140% + 40% = 1180%. Combined it yields 1,534,000% per second.

So the ratio = 1,534,000% / 91,530% = 16.76.

Wow, so WW needs to be hitting almost 17 targets at the same time in order to output the same damage as devastate compared at Cleave needing to hit just above 2 targets to match frenzy.

Can you say something is amiss here?

I don't know about you, but 17 targets concurrently is a fairy tale.

So in conclusion, WW damage needs to be scaled up very significantly in order for it to hold its own against devastate especially at higher TLs.

Quote Jose Sarmento "Devastate outdamages warrior aoe skills" Now I give you the numbers to back his quote.

Suggestion: Allow WW to also benefit from the flurry passive just like devastate and dt. This way, the ratio between WW and devastate becomes 6.4 vs 16.76. 6.4 is still too high a ratio in my mind, but at least it gets a little closer.

Defense (Damage reduction and recovery)

I will begin with another quote from a well known warrior player. orion_134 "WW gets me killed more than anything else"

To maximize WW's potential, one needs to round up as many targets as one can sustain. However WW offers pitiful bonus on the defensive front, making the skill more of a death trap than world beater. Basically for a DW, WW gets about 30% DR (15% per weapon equipped). On the other-hand, devastate offers 75% DR during its animation. Additionally, although I don't have any hard data, the fact devastate animation makes the warrior quickly jumping around probably allows it to avoid some hits entirely. Does WW avoid any hits? not at all. With its sucking mechanic (which is extremely useful btw for mobbing), one can't get away from any danger during its animation. Hence devastate works almost like a get out of jail card, healing the warrior with its quick hitting LoH while outputting godly damage. While WW'ing, one is praying to god that please please dont get me killed.

WW as a mobbing skill surrounds the player with more targets. This also opens up the player to more incoming hits that the player can't get away from. The current highest mobile shield warrior has trouble making WW work at TL138/139. How do you think WW's defensive characteristics will fare at a TL that's 13-15 higher?

I will save you the suspense. Your chance of surviving with WW at TL 150+ is: zero, zilch, nada. Even worse for DW since DW doesn't have a shield/blocking to fall back to.

It's unfortunate such a mobile friendly skill has zero practical use at peak TLs for neither DW and SW.

WW offers far lower DR than devastate while granting no extra bonus such as stun immunity and healing debuff to targets. It's a skill that's basically designed to have no success at peak trial.

Suggestion: Increase WW DR to 30% per equipped weapon. This will get WW to 60% DR. Still less than devastate's 75% DR. So we can't just stop here. Also increase healing effects from all sources by 100% during WW animation. This means life regeneration, LoH, Shockwave healing, apple, potion, and anything else that heals. WW needs the increased sustain to be usable at peak trials.

Of course both devastate and WW suffers from no alacrity during its animation. So it goes without saying that's also a deal breaker at peak trials (devastate can manage alacrity issue better due to the 1.2 sec animation). Just take a look at the warrior LB, I challenge anyone to find WW within 15TLs of the top position.

In conclusion, WW is a signature skill. Would be a waste to see it as nothing more than a farming tool at tl100
    GAQO KITO REZO 1934

I still dunno how to play proper this SW with BR DT SB kind of thing

I'm not ashamed to admit!!

​​​​​​Plus it's tiring doing that with the Frankenstein low end pc

Only able at the moment to switch or back and forth either with DT SB WW or BR SB WW (this works well with Elban only: imao -13ft shadow trademark ). By the way where is our friend? Why he is so quiet all of a sudden? A cat got his tongue is it?

If WW skill in the future will hv any effect on bosses

That would be nice

Arionthe. Thank you for the analysis etc
    Last edited by TheExorcist; 08-27-2019, 03:52 AM.
    Shield warrior Lover

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
      I will begin with another quote from a well known warrior player. orion_134 "WW gets me killed more than anything else"
      How come no one believes me when I say the same

Comment

A couple points, neither in favor nor against....

1) Whirlwind supposedly hits at TWICE your attack speed. So, processing limitations aside *ahem*, if your AS is 9.0, Whirlwind (DW) supposedly hits for 1125% * 9 * 2 attacks = 20250% per second per target

2) the source of my observation about Devastate out-DPS'ing is actually fighting the same Trial level (141 at the time I think) and noticing that casting Devastate whenever I had 10 Flurry stacks built up led to better mob phase DPS (per Trial stats) than sticking to Warlord 4 Whirlwind proc / Frenzy / Cleave / RS.

Only after realizing that did I run the numbers math vs. the basic attacks and figured Devastate would not (unlike previous incarnations) conduct to a DPS loss from the loss of attacking normally during its execution. However, I did not compare vs. Whirlwind in math terms, and the source of the higher DPS in my Trial 141 experience is a compound effect between Devastate itself, and the massive bleeds it fuels to my Shockwaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post

1) Whirlwind supposedly hits at TWICE your attack speed. So, processing limitations aside *ahem*, if your AS is 9.0, Whirlwind (DW) supposedly hits for 1125% * 9 * 2 attacks = 20250% per second per target

2) the source of my observation about Devastate out-DPS'ing is actually fighting the same Trial level (141 at the time I think) and noticing that casting Devastate whenever I had 10 Flurry stacks built up led to better mob phase DPS (per Trial stats) than sticking to Warlord 4 Whirlwind proc / Frenzy / Cleave / RS.

Only after realizing that did I run the numbers math vs. the basic attacks and figured Devastate would not (unlike previous incarnations) conduct to a DPS loss from the loss of attacking normally during its execution. However, I did not compare vs. Whirlwind in math terms, and the source of the higher DPS in my Trial 141 experience is a compound effect between Devastate itself, and the massive bleeds it fuels to my Shockwaves.
          1) where did you get the info about WW hitting at 2x attack speed? Probably needs to call Nhat in to test this out.
          GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
            Whirlwind occupies a special spot in the hierarchy of warrior skills. Among the active skills, it is the only mobbing centric skill, warrior's AOE.
            +1

Excellent analysis!!! While WW can quickly bust up large mobs in lower trials, it becomes a "death trap" as you move to higher trials. Plus, it totally fails in boss attacks.

After the first major upgrade 1.4.7, however, WW received a major buff that made it viable when used with WW blades. But then it was quickly nerfed back to Earth in the very next upgrade. Boo!!!

I definitely agree that WW deserves an upgrade. The Devs still have the code from the 1.4.7 upgrade, so it would be a fairly easy update...

Comment

Just give some fkin alacrity to WW

Comment

Ok, this piece of information needs investigation since it would bridge the gap in my original post from the unseemingly 17 to a more reasonable 8.5. So I went to the training ground and tested this out.

Here is the data (stripped naked and reset offensive stat CL to 0)

Dmg per hit 3-3
                Attack speed 2.5 per sec
                Cleave Lv10 375% dmg
                WW Lv 10 900% dmg

Observed Data point:
                Ability Cast# Damage/Cast
                Cleave 100 11
                Whirlwind 1 259
                So the expected result if WW ticks at the same rate as AS

4 (secs of skill animation) * 2.5 (attacks per second) * (900%/375%) (Skill dmg ratio) = 24x

If WW ticks at the TWICE the rate as AS, the ratio would double to 48x

Actual data: 259/11 = 23.54x

the naked char has some minimal crit (9.8%) and CD (214%) so one should expect some small deviation.

23.54x matches pretty well with the 24x calculated result. Nowhere near the expected 48x.

Let's chalk this up as another "it should work this way but doesn't... so it is what it is for now... low priority"?
                GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Well..I just park my SW at trial 136..

Surrender...can't go further

Only familiar with

1. SB DT and WW
                  2. BR SB and WW

these two for me so much fun

Many friends choose BR SB DT and they manage to go further up..congrats

​​​I try a few times BR SB DT
                  To me it's so tiring therefore less fun

I still HV DW 2 Mage and a stalker BH. Better slowly play these 4

Wat to do with my whirlwind SW?

I hv 2 choice

1. Keep in stock waitin for WW boost in future
                  2. Delete and replaced with a new hero. Cool. At least I hv one more additional not fully unlocked character that can run story mode for the 5 star and Gold Maniac.
                  Shield warrior Lover

Comment

Originally posted by TheExorcist View Post
                    Well..I just park my SW at trial 136..

Surrender...can't go further

Only familiar with

1. SB DT and WW
                    2. BR SB and WW

these two for me so much fun

Many friends choose BR SB DT and they manage to go further up..congrats

​​​I try a few times BR SB DT
                    To me it's so tiring therefore less fun

I still HV DW 2 Mage and a stalker BH. Better slowly play these 4

Wat to do with my whirlwind SW?

I hv 2 choice

1. Keep in stock waitin for WW boost in future
                    2. Delete and replaced with a new hero. Cool. At least I hv one more additional not fully unlocked character that can run story mode for the 5 star and Gold Maniac.
                    You can still make WW work with SW. But know this, the damage will not be from WW. It will be the DT procs and shield slam procs. So WW in this case isn't about the dmg, but drawing mobs towards you for your other damage sources to shine. So this requires massive massive pulls. Good thing you are using a shield. What you need in this case is massive vit and LOH. Probably need a full suit of Lv75 gear for your HP base to be big enough to sustain such a pull at 145+. As it turned out there is a SW player using WW at 150+. I haven't bothered to look at his stats. But that would be my guess.
                    GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

"Chinawolf" is really bad aSS

King of all whirlwind Shield warrior

i salute him...Your Majesty

i'm your humble subject

Thank You
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TheExorcist; 08-29-2019, 03:45 AM.
                      Shield warrior Lover

Comment

Originally posted by TheExorcist View Post
                        "Chinawolf" is really bad aSS

King of all whirlwind Shield warrior

i salute him...Your Majesty

i'm your humble subject

Thank You
                        If you had all 75 Celestial and a decent PC, you might end up at same place

Comment

Originally posted by ShotDead View Post

If you had all 75 Celestial and a decent PC, you might end up at same place
                          Curiously, the Axe isn't Celestial, and it's worth noting that he uses Cleaver instead of the matching Blackguard set Mace.

Comment

Curiously, the Axe isn't Celestial, and it's worth noting that he uses Cleaver instead of the matching Blackguard set Mace.
                            That's WW Axe. I use that too when using WW. WW has good chance of getting you killed at least 10 times in a Trial so you need as much heal as possible. The worst thing about a WW SW is that your haste sucks and you don't get any alacrity all the time you are using WW (which is a lot). Also you can't use WW at all for boss and negligible use of DT for mobs so you're kinda 1/3rd handicapped.

Comment

I think if you abandon the BG mace, you better use encrypted shield for the bubble. LOH on WW axe and defense on shield. My worry will be the source of damage.
                              Retired Mobile Player

Comment

Working...
                              X