Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shade Glow
    replied
    I'm sure I've made about 200 crafting attempts while trying to get a level 75 Eridanus. So far I have not been lucky enough. There is no wind left in my sails. It makes me feel pretty dejected, so I'll probably find something else to do instead. I can enjoy Eternium without pursuing such impossible goals.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Sarmento
    replied
    Originally posted by Chosen View Post
    Why are we calling it RNG and not what it actually is? It's gambling.
    I've spent 99% of my time in the season shooting ducks with a bazooka (what it feels like to do hundreds of 1.5 minutes TLL100 runs with a CL2200 BH) so that I get enough coins to use in the slot machine that is Ingrid. Because trying to hunt the biggest beasts that my toon can hunt (TL130+) takes more time and gives the same loot.

Back on topic, I like the idea, but crafting should be one of the many ways to get to the endgame, not BE the endgame.
    Also seconded. I see no logic in rewarding near-mindless farming so much better than superhigh Trial pushing. The grinding levels is fun sometimes, when you just want a break or "connect to ground" or something, but I think the biggest rewards (gold, mats, items, Xp, everything) should always come from playing at the epitome of your skill.

That is an idea for another topic though...

Leave a comment:

• Chosen
    replied
    Why are we calling it RNG and not what it actually is? It's gambling.
    I've spent 99% of my time in the season shooting ducks with a bazooka (what it feels like to do hundreds of 1.5 minutes TLL100 runs with a CL2200 BH) so that I get enough coins to use in the slot machine that is Ingrid. Because trying to hunt the biggest beasts that my toon can hunt (TL130+) takes more time and gives the same loot.

Back on topic, I like the idea, but crafting should be one of the many ways to get to the endgame, not BE the endgame.

Leave a comment:

• Invector
    replied
    I also love this idea because I detest RNG in any game for any reason!!
    I've put a great deal of time (and sometimes money) into many different games, only to eventually walk away because RNG is NOT my friend. A determinative outcome for me means I'll farm until my fingers bleed if that's what it takes. Knowing that I have a 100% chance of reaching my goal at some point keeps me going, while RNG almost always results in nothing but aggravation and lost interest.

Leave a comment:

• Triggus
    replied
    This is one brilliant idea, that could be one of the thing that need to be done to lower level of frustration and players turn over....
    On top of that make 71-72 celestials produce 2 CE's on salavage, 73-74 3xCE's, Rework drops/exp gained for TL 100+. Gem, gold amount and prices in the shop in line with current ingame economy (atm the only one worth buying is 100 game a day sub) you're losing earning potential here. Make sell items options similar to salvage ones so people can sell in bulks should they wish to.
    It would be a good idea to increase sell value of set and unique items significantly so people have choice if they want to sell or salvage them depending on what resources the are lacking, so this be could source of money or mats yet not both at the same time - this wouldn't ruin balance while giving people more choices.
    Just a few ideas from the top of my head that does not require rewriting the half of the game code... might be worth considering.
    Last edited by Triggus; 09-20-2019, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Sarmento
    replied
    Originally posted by BAgate View Post
    Actually Arionthe, I'd say the opposite. Since the introduction of lvl 75 items my interest in Eternium has cratered. Crafting is too expensive for volume to allow RNG to even out, so some bad luck can kill you. I've crafted more than 100 items since the change and no lvl 75, but everyone above me on the season leaderboard seems to have multiple of them. Essentially the season is now determined by RNG. So why bother?
    ^^ This. The so-called "gamer masochism" is basically the persistence to farm high-CL, perfect gear... in other words, an end-game character.
    You enjoy the RNG lottery when it's a slim (but not like statistically impossible) chance for a good drop on a quick T100 run loot; that keeps it refreshing after the 100th (or 1000th) run.
    You do *not* enjoy the RNG lottery when it takes a week-long farming efforts and, too bad so sad, gives you nothing.

That "well proven game development principle" is pure Bandwagon Fallacy. Instead, it's ALL about reward vs. effort. Satisfaction = Perception - Expectation is the universal truth, and this (current) method of Level75 crafting tends to fail on that equation.

Arionthe, while I technically wouldn't mind your variation, I think it would be simply needless complication; who in their right mind would play a lottery, knowing you can obtain the same rewards reliably for the same expected cost??

Plus likely exploits, ANBs, etc.

So in the interest of better clarity, I would prefer my idea. Where randomness is in *dire need* of usage in Eternium is in high level Trial drops. So much for the "motivatory RNG carrot" you allude to when everyting T100 onwards (I would even say now, T80 onwards) yields the same poop.
    Last edited by Jose Sarmento; 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM. Reason: Typos and clarity

Leave a comment:

• BAgate
    replied
    Actually Arionthe, I'd say the opposite. Since the introduction of lvl 75 items my interest in Eternium has cratered. Crafting is too expensive for volume to allow RNG to even out, so some bad luck can kill you. I've crafted more than 100 items since the change and no lvl 75, but everyone above me on the season leaderboard seems to have multiple of them. Essentially the season is now determined by RNG. So why bother?

Leave a comment:

• Arionthe
    replied
    Taking away RNG maybe music to players' ears, but not necessarily so for the makers of the game. It's a well proven game development principle that random reward system encourages greater time/money investment in the game. Think "just one more level and maybe I get lucky" thought process.

So while the OP idea might be good for sanity in a rational world... gamers are a masochistic crowd. Like the matrix, if everything is milk and honey.. the system collapses. It needs pain and suffering.

So how about this modification of the OP idea.

I give you TEMPERING ORBS.

Craftable items like CT that increases an item's level after its creation.

Tempering Orb Lv 1. raises item level from 70 -> 71 Costs a bit of everything

Tempering Orb Lv 2. raises item level from 71 -> 72 Costs a little more of everything

Tempering Orb Lv 3. raises item level from 72 -> 73 Costs 2x of Lv 2 Orb

Tempering Orb Lv 4. raises item level from 73 -> 74 Costs 2x of Lv 3 Orb

Tempering Orb Lv 5. raises item level from 74 -> 75 Costs 3x of Lv 4 Orb (perfection always costs just a little more than it should)

So there, two routes to that mythical Lv75. Pull that one armed bandit slot machine we called crafting table with the mastery perk (as it is now).... Or

Grind and grind, knowing every TL 100 gets you thatmuch closer to the Lv75 using tempering orbs.

Leave a comment:

• ShotDead
    replied
    I'm ok with ANY cost till it removes RNG. Exploits start with RNG

Leave a comment:

• duckel
    replied
    Just by reading this I got the motivation to grind another million gold. Before I havent farmed anything since last ANB

Leave a comment:

• Arionthe
    replied
    I think this is a grand idea. Making steady progress and seeing that finish line slowly approaching with perfect clarity would motivate me to grind that final mil/mats.

Leave a comment:

• Make crafting higher level items deterministic cost

So, we've all felt the dismay of crafting piece after piece (and at such a cost...) in search of those elusive level 75s... while I am aware that persistence pays off, I think it would be much better if the higher-than-70 level crafting was made deterministic rather than random:

- it would be better for the game. No exploits, no seed fixing, no lookaheads. Everyone on equal footing.
    - it would be better for the players. You would farm mats to a very specific tangible goal, rather than to the uncertainty of "is 15m gold and 3K of each Greater Essence enough?". You would also not feel the dismay of not getting a 75 after exhausting your hard-earned mats and gold in an unlucky crafting streak.

SO here's what I suggest:

- change the Master Crafter perk to allow your characters to craft items X levels higher than their level. The perk would commence at Mastery Level 20 and allow you to craft items 2 levels higher - this applies to both sub-70 characters and to level70 ones, thus allowing you to craft level 72 pieces at the most.
    At Mastery Level 30, you can craft 3 levels higher
    At ML40, 4 levels higher
    At ML50, 5 levels higher

Now instead of the current 1.025% chance of a level75 craft, you would instead take the base level70 costs and multiply them by 2 for each level above 70. So let's take a Eridanus, Greatstaff of the Magi as an example:

Level 70:
    420K gold
    100 Silver Ornament
    100 Enchanted Leather
    25 Mark of Titans
    35x4 = 140 Greater Essences in total
    Mats Level 71 Level 72 Level 73 Level 74 Level 75
    Gold 840K 1.68M 3.36M 6.72M 13.44M
    Silver Ornament 200 400 800 1600 3200
    Enchanted Leather 200 400 800 1600 3200
    Mark of Titans 50 100 200 400 800
    Greater Essences, total 280
    (70 per attribute)
    (140 per attribute)
    (280 per attribute)
    (560 per attribute)
    (1120 per attribute)
    While this may appear tremendous, notice it is the equivalent of 32 level 70 crafts, which seems to be about the average number required for a level75 hit on a new character.
    Last edited by Jose Sarmento; 09-19-2019, 10:48 AM. Reason: Added Greater Essence costs to table + typo fixing
Working...
X