I think the Gem Store is broken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Gem Store is broken...

I think the Gem Store is broken. I don’t mean that it is *technologically* broken, I mean *economically* broken. Here’s what I mean:

Let’s say you want to craft some jewelry. You have two options, crafting a piece with a random stat or paying XX gems to choose the stat of the piece you are crafting.

But it seems to me that no one (apart from newbs) ever chooses the latter. As you know, regardless of which choice you make (random stat or selected stat) the VALUE of that still will still be random. And anyone who wants to make a great ring will not want to spend gems, a rare and precious resource, and likely wind up with a result that has poor values for its stat – that would be a waste.

That’s why the recommended practice is instead to make random pieces, which only cost gold, and simply sell off the ones that either have an undesired stat, or a desired stat that is not good enough.

What this means is that Making Fun is offering a chance to purchase something that costs far too much for you get, compared to the alternate path.

There is I think a simple solution. (I hope the devs read these forums!) For spending real gems on the crafting effort, the produced item should have a much higher stat VALUE.

You could simply have a much tighter variance to gem-purchased crafting attempts, like instead of Power varying from 72 to 90, it only varies from 85 to 90, but I think I have a better idea:

Make it be that when you pay gems to craft a piece of jewelry with a selected stat, you get a piece with close to max value, but not max value. For Power, for example, you *always* get an 87, nothing higher or lower.

This way people going for absolute maximum will still feel compelled to keep rolling the randoms, but there will be (I think) many people like myself who will happily pay gem prices for jewelry that may not be perfect, but is much better than average.

Some possible value for gem purchased jewelry to have could be:

Ability Rate, Power, Haste, Crit Rating, Dodge Rating, Vitality: 87 (very high, but three other results (88, 89, 90) still beat it.)

Critical Damage: 58%
    Life Regen: 70
    Experience, Extra Gold: 43.5%
    Life on Hit, Damage Reflected: 348
    Armor: 174

This way, you spend gems, you will always get a piece of jewelry with 83.3% of max value of it’s range, but not less – and not 100% either.

That would make ME spend gems on crafting jewels, and I think would fix this broken purchasable option!
    My ID: GIMU FOZI HETE 6361

That would be pay to win, the devs are against pay to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Humus View Post
      That would be pay to win, the devs are against pay to win.
      I disagree that it would be pay to win, anymore that anything else in the store - gemstones, purple and gold items for sale, buying companions so you can have 3 haste buffs, paying to unlock abilities early, paying to unlock 3 at once, the list goes on and on and on. That ship has sailed.

We're WAY past the point of all purchasable options being merely ornamental!!

Also, if my idea was p2w, I would have said 100%, not 83.3%.

So there's that.

PS: if they are going to have an option to spend gems that is SO unpopular and makes so little sense, they should either fix it or remove it.

Comment

I agree it's not any more pay-to-win than those examples you mention (never mind the gem bill for socketing gear).

But even though I'm a casual player with resources, I'm never buying guaranteed sub-par jewelry. For me, the real cost of jewelry isn't grinding for optimum greens (which I do as an occasional diversion a few minutes at a time over a period of months), it's grinding for gemstones. I'm not wasting top-tier gemstones on second-rate greens.

Also, if your target is a stat of 87 (say), you have even far less incentive to pay gems because you're going to get a bucket of those before you know it just doing the random grind. I've sold literally hundreds of those.

Comment

Originally posted by osoviejo View Post
          In (never mind the gem bill for socketing gear).

But even though I'm a casual player with resources, I'm never buying guaranteed sub-par jewelry.

Also, if your target is a stat of 87 (say), you have even far less incentive to pay gems because you're going to get a bucket of those before you know it just doing the random grind. I've sold literally hundreds of those.
          ^ This

Why would I waste gems on non-perfect or upper upper near-perfect (no, 83.3% doesn't interest me enough to part with gems) gear?

No thanks.

Comment

Problem with that is though is I won't ever spend gems on a green jewelry if I'm not even sure I'll get a max one. And even for a max one I'd rather just spend the gold since it's so abundant. Those gems are much better spent elsewhere imo. I think we should just get rid of that function all together.

Comment

if there's gonna be something like this, the value should be 89/90 given the sheer scarcity of the nature of gems. contrary to what you think, I believe NO ONE would actually spend their hard earned gems on a 87 piece
              22nd September 2017

Comment

Originally posted by giecomo View Post
                if there's gonna be something like this, the value should be 89/90 given the sheer scarcity of the nature of gems. contrary to what you think, I believe NO ONE would actually spend their hard earned gems on a 87 piece
                I can't like this enough times.

Considering how each gem is worth either time or dollars.. moreso than gold (you can't get a gem booster. Gemstone/gold/xp booster.. yep. Gem booster.. nope).. it makes gems a far more scarce resource. As you get more experienced with the game, Sindyr , you'll become a lot more tightfisted with your gems, and a lot more choosey about if/when you use them.

Not willy-nilly on 83 - 87'ish pieces. No thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Rytrik View Post
                  .... you'll become a lot more tightfisted with your gems, and .....
                  I guess that depends on the person's wallet. LOL, in fact Sheik Abdul would probably object to the imperfect jewelry from his gems.

*picturing Abdul sitting under his Palm tree raging because he's only getting 87's.

RAKO LOJA CUSE 8372 - Coldet and VADA YOHI XUVA 4984 - Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Rytrik View Post

^ This

Why would I waste gems on non-perfect or upper upper near-perfect (no, 83.3% doesn't interest me enough to part with gems) gear?

No thanks.
                    Fair enough. Maybe we SHOULD get perfect or near perfect stats. perhaps an 89?

Comment

The main thing I think I am saying is either make spending gems for crafting attractive enough for people to do it, or remove it from the game. There little point to having options that no one uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sindyr View Post
                        The main thing I think I am saying is either make spending gems for crafting attractive enough for people to do it, or remove it from the game. There little point to having options that no one uses.
                        It's only your opinion that no one uses it. For all we know Abdul's whole village could be crafting with gems.
                        RAKO LOJA CUSE 8372 - Coldet and VADA YOHI XUVA 4984 - Beta

Comment

I could see two possible scenarios that could entice players to spend more for more predictable results. I've used some round numbers below to simply the math.

The first, and what I would spend currency to use, would be a gold-based predicted stat result. So let's say crafting a level 70 ring costs 840 gold to make and 210 to sell and you can get one of 10 stats, so statistically, every ring of Stat X would cost an equivalent of 6,510 gold (create 10 rings for 8,400 and sell 9 for 1,890). Assuming each stat has an equal chance of appearing. In order to guarantee a ring of Stat X, I would be willing to pay a premium (not 17 gems; that is asinine) of 3x to save myself the headache and mind-numbingly boring task of buying, checking, selling the rings. So let me buy a random ring for 840 or a predicted stat for 20k gold; both options having the same stat value chances. So I would still need to buy a lot of them if I wanted perfect jewelry.

The second would be a gem-based predicted result. This is more directly P2W, but would offer players the ability to use the real world currency to improve their perfect jewelry quest. There could be several tiers that could offer stat value is upper 50% of the range; stat value is upper 25% of the range; stat value is upper 10% of the range. In order to spend gems there would need to be some legitimate benefit, otherwise people will just use gold (and learn to enjoy the game less and less the more time they spend clicking buy and sell).

I've said it in other threads; something really needs to happen with crafting jewelry. The process is so tedious I really think I would stop playing before I actually finished a full set of jewelry because I would dread logging in and trudging through it all. I didn't renew the daily gems when it ran out because I know the next thing I should be doing is grinding gemstones and then crafting better rings, and I honestly don't know that I will continue playing the game if I have to do that. Crafting is non-playing time, playing is what I enjoy and what I want to spend my limited time doing with the game, let me spend my time playing and I will stick with this game longer. If I have to spend 10 hours sorting through green jewelry to make near-perfect jewelry I'll probably find something else to do.

Comment

Well thought and well written - thanks!

Comment

I pay for gems to support the game and forums and because I can afford it and so I do it. If I can buy some gems once every week I'm happy. If I can't.... Well either way I'm happy.
                              VIYA WUBA RAGA 2478

Comment

Working...
                              X