Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative (lighter on GPUs?) Immolate effect

Hi guys,

Not sure whether the Immolate visual effect is or is not a significant portion of the GPU workload on Mage gameplay. But it is my perception that Mage is more laggy (and thus GPU-intensive) than other classes, and I'd figure the visuals are at least part of the root cause.

Since virtually all of the high level mages that I met find the visual a bit "cumbersome" (makes it tough to see Elite abilities announced, what's happening inside the Immolate circle, etc.), maybe replace it with a "smoother" effect which is also lighter workload for the GPU?

I'd suggest something like a modulated glow on the ground (like embers - TBD's Lava Patches or similar), with affected enemies also taking on the "modulated glow" in proportion to the number of stacked Immolates they had active (e.g. normal color - dark red for 1 Immolate; normal color - orange for 2; dark red - yellow for 3; dark red - white for full 4-stack).

Thoughts?

I have ranted about this multiple times, thus from me ... +1

See this post
    Last edited by Coda; 01-30-2018, 02:37 AM.
    VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381

Comment

+1 as well
      WEWE WEMA LUBI 3485

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post
        Hi guys,

Not sure whether the Immolate visual effect is or is not a significant portion of the GPU workload on Mage gameplay. But it is my perception that Mage is more laggy (and thus GPU-intensive) than other classes, and I'd figure the visuals are at least part of the root cause.

Since virtually all of the high level mages that I met find the visual a bit "cumbersome" (makes it tough to see Elite abilities announced, what's happening inside the Immolate circle, etc.), maybe replace it with a "smoother" effect which is also lighter workload for the GPU?

I'd suggest something like a modulated glow on the ground (like embers - TBD's Lava Patches or similar), with affected enemies also taking on the "modulated glow" in proportion to the number of stacked Immolates they had active (e.g. normal color - dark red for 1 Immolate; normal color - orange for 2; dark red - yellow for 3; dark red - white for full 4-stack).

Thoughts?
        Could this be the case for my lagging problems aswell? I haven't found an explanation to me lagging a lot, while in the other games I am playing normally. You're a genius.
        Originally posted by CountBelzebul;n96592
        when i start playing eternium last year...my warrior had 3 maggie as companion...when i heard maggie being nerfed...i got frustrated...then i just delete my warrior...
        YOLO

Comment

Originally posted by RiseOfAbyss View Post

Could this be the case for my lagging problems aswell? I haven't found an explanation to me lagging a lot, while in the other games I am playing normally. You're a genius.
          Hardly. Note that I have no f-k clue if it's the Immolate or not that makes Mage laggier; I just notice it's laggier than my BH (who moves faster) and thought the more demanding graphics might play a part in that. It could also be the larger size of the pulls, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post

Hardly. Note that I have no f-k clue if it's the Immolate or not that makes Mage laggier; I just notice it's laggier than my BH (who moves faster) and thought the more demanding graphics might play a part in that. It could also be the larger size of the pulls, for instance.
            you're right in that it doesn't take a genius to figure that the Immolates might be a possible cause, but he's also right in that you're a genius
            22nd September 2017

Comment

Just nerv it a little and put the actual immolate cooldown on the set, not per attack. then you wont have 10 immolates on the screen, it sucks anyway that there is only 1 option to play mage, like every mage in the top 100 is the same, that is so boring.
              NICE COOL BEST 1112

Comment

Originally posted by mhediv View Post
                Just nerv it a little and put the actual immolate cooldown on the set, not per attack. then you wont have 10 immolates on the screen, it sucks anyway that there is only 1 option to play mage, like every mage in the top 100 is the same, that is so boring.
                3 Immolates are the maximum that can be active.
                Originally posted by CountBelzebul;n96592
                when i start playing eternium last year...my warrior had 3 maggie as companion...when i heard maggie being nerfed...i got frustrated...then i just delete my warrior...
                YOLO

Comment

What do you mean 'put the actual immolate cooldown on the set'?

And i love that Apprentice is the main gear of choice. I love watching the world buuuuurrnnnn....

Comment

Originally posted by Rytrik View Post

What do you mean 'put the actual immolate cooldown on the set'?
                    "You have a 10% chance to cast Immolate on target when attacking."
                    NICE COOL BEST 1112

Comment

"You have a 10% chance to cast Immolate on target when attacking."
                      That's what it currently is. Which is fine. What are you proposing it to be changed to?

Comment

Like i said, put the cooldown from the spell on the set.
                        NICE COOL BEST 1112

Comment

I've done some experimenting with this, idk if it has any value but here's what I've noticed. The game seems to work on a system of "ticks", which are shorter than the length of one frame. I'm not sure exactly how long they are. However it can easily be noticed - if you select the "framerate cap ON" option, the frame counter will display roughly the same number (~60fps at all times on sufficient hardware) however it will frequently spike as high as 64fps and as low as 47fps, specifically when a skill is casted. I believe this is because the game is attempting to render a greater number of "events" (skill casting messages, effects, etc) on the same frame, whereas with the framerate cap off, these things are rendered on different "ticks", thus reducing the actual load on the GPU at any given point, despite the supposed "higher" framerate (even though it caps at a displayed 60 either way). I think the sudden greater load on the GPU is what causes this slowdown, as the game knows it needs to render all of these events during a certain frame, so it seems to "pause" momentarily to allow them to render. I would recommend turning the framerate cap "OFF" and seeing if it gives you a performance advantage. I want to be clear, I'm testing this on a PC, with an A8-7670k @ 4ghz, 8GB of DDR3-2400, an RX560, and a newer SSD. So while my hardware isn't exactly top of the line, it's faster than any mobile device. As well, i've tested this on my S8+ and found pretty much the same results, but mobile seems to have a little bit of lag no matter what I do so it's hard to seperate the effect I noticed from any background variables.

Comment

Like i said, put the cooldown from the spell on the set.
                            So if I'm understanding correctly, you want the spell on the set to have a ~14 second cool down? Is my understanding correct?
                            Last edited by Rytrik; 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rytrik View Post

So if I'm understanding correctly, you want the spell on the set to have a ~14 second cool down? Is my understanding correct?
                              Mate, your understanding is a bit slow. lol it should be clear the first time, now you're still not sure.
                              NICE COOL BEST 1112

Comment

Working...
                              X