Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCIs: Maybe Could Be A Little More "Custom"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCIs: Maybe Could Be A Little More "Custom"?

So the Legendary Custom Boxes are great and all, but as a first-timer at ANB, my expectations based on their in-game description were a little high. What I expected in addition to the stat control was a full range of items, templates, and special effects, as opposed to just rolling up pre-existing items. It was the "You can even make unique items" that got me, I guess.

You want a wavy sword that summons skellies? Sure, it's yours! Or how about a pistol with an Integralas-style AR boost? Go for it! You like that Adventurer's Robe, but wish it came in red? Well by golly, now it does! And feel free to name those goodies whatever you want, too, because let's be honest here, "Deidre's Resolve" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "The Elderrathean Mobwaster."

I'm not complaining (for once), but maybe make such items possible in future updates/Events? Would it be too difficult to implement such highly-customized items?
    Champion Level 1035 -

Artemis (DPS Mage): 920K/104K/25K, TL94
    Synergy 178 • Arc/Adv 4/2 • Marcus, Robin, Endar

Estrago (Bounty Hunter): 482K/142K/51K, TL87
    Synergy 101 • Havoc 4 • Marcus, Robin

Athena (XP Mage): 446K/85K/22K, TL91
    Synergy 129 • Adv/Arc 4/2 • Marcus, Eileen, Robin

Mobile • As Of May 24th, 2018

#JustSpamLess: Responsive Controls Are For Skrebz

You do realize that what you're suggesting would require a ridiculous amount of work on the dev's part, right?

And before you say, "No it won't", realize what you're actually asking for: Fully customizable items with procs that shouldn't be on those items. Example: AR boost on pistols. Now THAT needs to be balanced into the game. Adventurer robe a different color? What the **** is the point of that? You can barely see what your character is wearing. It's not even a priority on their radar.

You ***** and moan about how things are so broken, yet you're suggesting (for #1): Something completely unbalanced... and (for #2) something totally useless. Why waste dev resources on those things? They can't put time and energy to fixing the supposed issues you're having with Magroth and TBD (which are totally fine, btw) if they're wasting time 'making a setting & color swap palette for your Adventurer robe'.

Honestly, the description was clear and accurate. You had the full range of items currently available in the game, including named items, and you could customize the stats for those items. Not add new procs for items which did not have those procs. It did what it promised.

So yes, to answer the question, it WOULD be too difficult to implement such highly-customized items.
    Last edited by Rytrik; 04-15-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

All these flavors, and yet you choose to be salty. :-\

Originally posted by Rytrik View Post
      You do realize that what you're suggesting would require a ridiculous amount of work on the dev's part, right?
      You're right. What was I thinking? Improvements and expansions that require time and effort (GASP!) should *never* be attempted/implemented, and *especially* not in commercial products. Thanks for making me stop and think.

And before you say, "No it won't",
      It probably won't tho.

realize what you're actually asking for: Fully customizable items with procs that shouldn't be on those items. Example: AR boost on pistols. Now THAT needs to be balanced into the game. Adventurer robe a different color? What the **** is the point of that? You can barely see what your character is wearing. It's not even a priority on their radar.
      I think you're confusing "shouldn't be" with "aren't currently."

You should probably also call up all of those AAA developers who incorporate character customization into their RPGs and MMORPGs and tell them to stop wasting their time because gamers *totes* hate such features.

And while you're at it, don't forget to call DP/MF and tell them to just make all of the items in a particular category look the same. We don't need so many different maces and sword sprites. That **** is totally lame and annoying.

You ***** and moan about how things are so broken, yet you're suggesting (for #1): Something completely unbalanced... and (for #2) something totally useless. Why waste dev resources on those things? They can't put time and energy to fixing the supposed issues you're having with Magroth and TBD (which are totally fine, btw) if they're wasting time 'making a setting & color swap palette for your Adventurer robe'.
      Nice false dichotomy there. I didn't know that fixes and expansions were an either-or proposition, or that such things had to be implemented either overnight or not at all.

Have you not played any Trials? The theme there is that no matter how much power a Hero has, they'll eventually hit a point at which they need to upgrade to progress. How exactly is it possible to unbalance a progressive system such as that? The wall there is inevitable even for the best players.

I also didn't suggest that limitations not apply. No one really needs 20 Muk procs. Use your imagination, okay?

Honestly, the description was clear and accurate. You had the full range of items currently available in the game, including named items, and you could customize the stats for those items. Not add new procs for items which did not have those procs. It did what it promised.
      Items that already exist in the game aren't unique items; they're items that already exist in the game. Perhaps the description would have left less open to (mis)interpretation had it employed the term "named items" instead...? But hey, don't ask me, because I'm just a guy who was being offered honors English courses at the beginning of every semester. *shrug*

So yes, to answer the question, it WOULD be too difficult to implement such highly-customized items.
      We're talking about little more than sprite swapping. Essentially the same thing Game Genies and 16-bit consoles were doing way back in the mid-90s. It ain't rocket science, and I doubt that the developers' chops or the game engine itself are too rusty to pull it off.
      Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

Since I'm too lazy to quote every part in a quote box..

"You should probably also call up all of those AAA developers who incorporate character customization into their RPGs and MMORPGs and tell them to stop wasting their time because gamers *totes* hate such features."
        AAA Devs have more than 4 people working on the ENTIRE game.

"We're talking about little more than sprite swapping. Essentially the same thing Game Genies and 16-bit consoles were doing way back in the mid-90s. It ain't rocket science, and I doubt that the developers' chops or the game engine itself are too rusty to pull it off."
        If it is so easy that people in the mid-90's were doing it, then why don't you do it yourself?
        ANB #1- Mage Rank 17... T107 in 9:47
        ANB #2- Mage Rank 1..... T116 in 9:54

Live LB- Mage Rank 3..... T122 in 9:05.
        Live LB- XP Mage ........... T112 in 7:55/ T100 in 3:25.

Click here to see my gameplay videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Potato View Post
          Since I'm too lazy to quote every part in a quote box..

"You should probably also call up all of those AAA developers who incorporate character customization into their RPGs and MMORPGs and tell them to stop wasting their time because gamers *totes* hate such features."
          AAA Devs have more than 4 people working on the ENTIRE game.

"We're talking about little more than sprite swapping. Essentially the same thing Game Genies and 16-bit consoles were doing way back in the mid-90s. It ain't rocket science, and I doubt that the developers' chops or the game engine itself are too rusty to pull it off."
          If it is so easy that people in the mid-90's were doing it, then why don't you do it yourself?
          Why don't you build a house? Why don't we require malpractice lawyers to be surgeons first? That's not my wheelhouse; I'm not a coder. I'm also not a surgeon, and neither are you, but we can both say with a pretty high degree of certainty that it's easier to, say, remove a bullet from someone's thigh than it is to perform brain surgery. Same principle applies to my Game Genie comparison versus the current tech and code that Eternium utilizes.

So what if there's only 4 developers? They plan on expanding and improving upon Eternium as much as they can, don't they? My point there wasn't about resources, but about how customizations such as palette swaps aren't as pointless as Rytrik insisted because most gamers like those things enough for even major developers to implement them on a fairly regular basis.

I'm just suggesting the option to select different item type looks that already exist in the game, independent of the features being put on the item. Why are you two trying to make it sound like I'm asking for a time travel machine? It'd be a nice addition to a game that the developers don't want to see get stagnant. Rhetorically, what issue is there to really take with that if you like the game?
          Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

Originally posted by Melchiah View Post

Why don't you build a house? Why don't we require malpractice lawyers to be surgeons first? That's not my wheelhouse; I'm not a coder. I'm also not a surgeon, and neither are you, but we can both say with a pretty high degree of certainty that it's easier to, say, remove a bullet from someone's thigh than it is to perform brain surgery. Same principle applies to my Game Genie comparison versus the current tech and code that Eternium utilizes.

So what if there's only 4 developers? They plan on expanding and improving upon Eternium as much as they can, don't they? My point there wasn't about resources, but about how customizations such as palette swaps aren't as pointless as Rytrik insisted because most gamers like those things enough for even major developers to implement them on a fairly regular basis.

I'm just suggesting the option to select different item type looks that already exist in the game, independent of the features being put on the item. Why are you two trying to make it sound like I'm asking for a time travel machine? It'd be a nice addition to a game that the developers don't want to see get stagnant. Rhetorically, what issue is there to really take with that if you like the game?
            For all of those things you said, there are more than 4 people who do all of them, and I would pay them for their job. I can't just pay enough money to hire another dev just to do what you are asking for.

If they want to "expand and improve" Eternium, then I suggest getting their balancing patch out so they can work on co-op/pvp instead of minor customization on gear.

I play this game because it's fun and for hopes of future updates, not for customizable gear (not referring to l-boxes or c-boxes).

Comment

For all of those things you said, there are more than 4 people who do all of them, and I would pay them for their job. I can't just pay enough money to hire another dev just to do what you are asking for.

If they want to "expand and improve" Eternium, then I suggest getting their balancing patch out so they can work on co-op/pvp instead of minor customization on gear.

I play this game because it's fun and for hopes of future updates, not for customizable gear (not referring to l-boxes or c-boxes).
              So then why did you ask me why I, by myself, don't "do it myself?"

Is DP/MF going broke? Are they providing ad space for free? Are the IAPs suddenly free, and I didn't notice? So it makes sense for you to pay people to do things that you can't do, but anyone suggesting improvements that you don't consider priority has to "do it [themselves]"?

You're right, multiplayer/pvp are more important. And those features would be even better with all the players running around looking exactly identical. :-\

I play for the same reasons, although I must have been under the mistaken notion that deep character customization is fun, because you've effectively just decreed that it isn't. Because, y'know, fun isn't a subjective concept at all. Thanks for setting me straight. ;-)
              Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

And really, I can't help but laugh at the logic here: It only took 4 guys to get Eternium to where it is now, but they'd have to hire an entire armada of coders just to re-match sprites and boosts. Riiight. XD
                Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

Originally posted by Melchiah View Post
                  And really, I can't help but laugh at the logic here: It only took 4 guys to get Eternium to where it is now, but they'd have to hire an entire armada of coders just to re-match sprites and boosts. Riiight. XD
                  The game has been out for like 5 years and it is still under developement, so I guess "only 4 guys" isnt saying much since it's taken 5 years to get it where it is.

Comment

The game has been out for like 5 years and it is still under developement, so I guess "only 4 guys" isnt saying much since it's taken 5 years to get it where it is.
                    Given the devs' stated intent, right there in the description on the Play Store, to continue updating Eternium instead of just letting it stagnate, I think it's safe to say that they could have *400* developers working on it and still be "developing" it.
                    Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

FWIW, it was actually only 2 guys until last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ༺྿Travis྿༻ (Support Mgr.) View Post
                        FWIW, it was actually only 2 guys until last year.
                        See, Rytrik? Even further proving my point: 2 guys got it this far in 4 years, and they now have 4 guys. What I'm suggesting is nowhere near resource-prohibitive.

It would be a good addition, and it would allow for further individualization of players and their characters. It would add an extra layer of depth, and be a huge bonus to any future multiplayer implementation.
                        Champion Level 1035 -

Comment

Working...
                        X