Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussing exploits openly is grounds for a ban (including your game account)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussing exploits openly is grounds for a ban (including your game account)

Allow me to remind everyone that discussing exploits (known or not) is grounds for immediate dismissal from the forum, Discord, and/or the game, even if you've spent money. If you would like to report an exploit that you think may be unknown, please do so privately via help@makingfun.com.

Now that this warning has been (re)issued, I will be much less tolerant to violations and swift action will be taken at my discretion.

Thank you for the clear warning, Travis.

Trust+respect is a two-way street. Please show us Making Fun is committed to this relationship when the final ANB 5 Gold League Leaderboards are posted.

All of this can go away pretty easily with a simple explanation as to how a small number of players can consistently gain 4x the XP of anyone else in the same amount of time played. If these players are just so much more skilled and talented than anyone else (as they very obviously and quite desperately need to keep reminding us in each ANB) , there should be no worry of giving away "secrets", as we would still have no chance of coming close to them, because we are all just so much worse at the game.

I suppose when the scrubbed Leaderboards are shown, we will clearly see what behaviors and tactics are considered acceptable, and engaging in the same methods, and discussing them, should be no problem.

Edit: And yes, I am aware of an explanation for at least some of it, although the cost in gems to buy materials, convert gems to gold, and buy gemstone clusters makes my mind recoil in horror. Still not 100% sure this explains everything we are seeing, though.
    Last edited by Trouble; 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Can we get someone math oriented like Coda and perhaps Jose Sarmento to calculate the probability of getting those rolls naturally? Or if the explanation is that they are crafted, run the same calculation for the avg mat/gold cost to have a 50% chance of crating such a piece? Translate them into gem costs will probably put a quick end to that argument/explanation. I will be the first to admit my errors if such revenue is being generated to the developers.

Anyway what bugs me somewhat is the fact I can't really buy the argument that the developers are unaware. So to Trouble 's point, what does the previously "scrubbed" LBs from completed ANBs say about the anti-cheating/exploiting policy? I know it is said that a sucker is born every minute, but it sure doesn't feel good to be told that you are that sucker.
      GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

i took screenshots of 27 people with the name "Korea" in the BH leaderboards. out of those 22 had either 28+% or 98+AR or both on IM. only one had a "bad" IM and 4 had somewhat acceptable mantles around 26+% or 93+AR. does look like they all got very lucky, heh?

Comment

Originally posted by ྿༻Travis༺྿ (Support Mgr.) View Post
          Allow me to remind everyone that discussing exploits (known or not) is grounds for immediate dismissal from the forum, Discord, and/or the game, even if you've spent money. If you would like to report an exploit that you think may be unknown, please do so privately via help@makingfun.com.

Now that this warning has been (re)issued, I will be much less tolerant to violations and swift action will be taken at my discretion.
          OK, just so I understand - seriously, I'm not trying to be a smarta**. When you say "exploit", you mean to take unfair advantage of the game or to cheat, right? See 2.2 below.

1. 1.
            make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
            "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology"
            synonyms: utilize, make use of, put to use, use, use to good advantage, turn/put to good use, make the most of, capitalize on, benefit from, turn to account, draw on; More
          noun
          /ˈekˌsploit/
          1. 1.
            a bold or daring feat.
            "the most heroic and secretive exploits of the war"
            synonyms: feat, deed, act, adventure, stunt, escapade, maneuver, enterprise, undertaking, move;More
          2. 2.
            a software tool designed to take advantage of a flaw in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware.
            e.g. "if someone you don't know tweets you a link, it's either spam, an exploit, or probably both"
          FEYI FAJU BESE 4881

Enthusiastic but inept player. Computer programmer and world traveler.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryDarc View Post

OK, just so I understand - seriously, I'm not trying to be a smarta**. When you say "exploit", you mean to take unfair advantage of the game or to cheat, right? See 2.2 below.
            Yes, either using an in game process to gain an unfair advantage or use third party software to gain an unfair advantage.
            Mobile only, Android Samsung Note 8 Pie OS

Comment

Originally posted by Cmptrwhz View Post

Yes, either using an in game process to gain an unfair advantage or use third party software to gain an unfair advantage.
              Thx. Unfair advantage is pretty clear but what do you mean, "in game process"?

I've seen such as "Immolate process" for damage and I understand that. I've also seen "Stormblade process" where the player was not/could not be equipped with a Stormblade. Always wondered what that was about.
              FEYI FAJU BESE 4881

Enthusiastic but inept player. Computer programmer and world traveler.

Comment

Originally posted by duckel View Post
                i took screenshots of 27 people with the name "Korea" in the BH leaderboards. out of those 22 had either 28+% or 98+AR or both on IM. only one had a "bad" IM and 4 had somewhat acceptable mantles around 26+% or 93+AR. does look like they all got very lucky, heh?
                You should see their Hailstorms' damage range, from custom legendary or celestial cubes. I went through the top 50 BHs and it appears that in order for me to get a 1550+ max damage Hailstorm I need to travel to Korea to open my Celestial cubes!
                I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Probabilities are pretty complicated but from an overly simplistic view point...

Event 1 has X probability. Express as fraction not %.
                  Event 2 has Y probability.

Probability of either: add them, X+Y
                  Probability of both together: multiply them, X*Y

Example: 2 stats, each within top 10% of range, dropping on same piece of gear ... 0.1*0.1=0.01 (1%)
                  Note carefully that L cubes and C cubes, the range itself is much narrower.

VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Explaining kinda infringes in the "not discussing exploits" directive...

I've seen such as "Immolate process" for damage and I understand that. I've also seen "Stormblade process" where the player was not/could not be equipped with a Stormblade. Always wondered what that was about.
                    Some of the game's attacks unfortunately shares the same name at the moment.
                    • Immolate procs are a feature of the Apprentice set 6/6 piece bonus for Mages, you do not need to have the ability itself equipped <= Normal
                    • "Stormblade proc" is the "Chain lightning" damage from: Stormblade, Stormgun, enchantments such as Windfurry and Rune of the Storm <= again, normal, just a "same name" thing...

Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by duckel View Post
                      Keep in mind, that CBoxes and LBoxes have very high base values. I took a quick look at mine and the entire Mage Top 100 in ANB5-Gold and it seems that 26% and 90 AR are the worst possible values you can get (if 25% is possible I haven't seen one yet). The 90 AR only showed up once and the next worst was 93 AR so I would say that your "somewhat acceptable mantles" are in fact the worst ones you will see normally. So getting eighter 28% or 98 AR is not unusual. Even the odd perfect 30% 100 AR ones could be legit.

Usually an exploit is using a bug or something that the developer clearly didn't intent to be used to gain a huge advantage. Classic examples from other games would be finding a specific monster were a programmer made an error while setting its EXP/ Drops and farming it to level quickly or get filthy rich. Or killing a monster that wasn't supposed to be killed the get easy loot (like Magroth in Severed Mountain -> this one is long fixed and should be fine to mention).
                      In general if something it way too good to be right send a quick Mail to the games Support and ask wether it is an exploit. If it is and they didn't know about it you might even get an reward.
                      Last edited by BalthasarHohenheim; 03-23-2019, 01:03 AM.

Comment

In my opinion, one significant reason there is a lot more 'stress' now about cheating, hacking, exploits, and such, is that the game is now hugely pay-to-win.

ANBs can only be won (top 10 or 25) by paying, and they are the key to C-boxes and more recently, medals, which are the key to ranking highly outside an ANB. The XP curve being exponential contributes to this.

The timed ANBs made it this way. They were an interesting experiment but let's face it, some experiments fail.

However, I predict Devs will keep them due to making a lot of money. The fact that they leaked plans to have them running nearly continuously should tell you something about how much they like them. And by like I mean collect $.

Devs also do not fix things like RotS on items that shouldn't have it (tome). Not to mention numerous longstanding known and extremely unpopular bugs.

Truth hurts sometimes, but doesn't mean it's not true.
                        VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

I'm fairly ambivalent regarding the top leaders being buyers. As long as they're spending real money, I'm more fine with it. If its just 'amassed' gems from 'ad views' I'm more doubtful. The game needs to rmake money if it doesnt enhancements and maintenace stop.

As for the leaderboard, when I see CLs of 1300+ in six hours, the only thing I think is how many gems did you throw at it and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

​​​​​​So basically, unless the devs change up the order of medals awarded between leagues, Glory Medals are your scarlet letter. Its unfortunate some skilled players will get tagged with it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchReality View Post
                            As for the leaderboard, when I see CLs of 1300+ in six hours, the only thing I think is how many gems did you throw at it and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

​​​
                            Actually i hinted at this in my post. Your initial reaction is 99.99% wrong. What is being achieved by them has very little to do with gem expenditure. Or said it another way, the ungodly amount of gems it would take to replicate what they have done might start approach the number of atoms on earth.

The truth is, if they really did spend that much gem, I would not have any problem. In fact I would applaud them for supporting the game and allowing the devs greater resources to improve the game.

But that is not what is happening here. They are rabbits in a dog race. We are the chumps that fall for the fake carrots.

Unfortunately I can’t be more specific about it as more details will run the risk of discussing the unmentionables.
                            GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Originally posted by BalthasarHohenheim View Post

Keep in mind, that CBoxes and LBoxes have very high base values. I took a quick look at mine and the entire Mage Top 100 in ANB5-Gold and it seems that 26% and 90 AR are the worst possible values you can get (if 25% is possible I haven't seen one yet). The 90 AR only showed up once and the next worst was 93 AR so I would say that your "somewhat acceptable mantles" are in fact the worst ones you will see normally. So getting eighter 28% or 98 AR is not unusual. Even the odd perfect 30% 100 AR ones could be legit.
                              Your line of argument has one fatal fallacy. That is selection bias. You are examining the said population of data points to determine the reasonableness of that same population. You don’t have a control group of non exploiting results to compare. I will just leave it at that.
                              GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Working...
                              X