No announcement yet.

Do you like the trend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turgeon It really depends on your hero class, your goals, and how you define "competitive." If you goal is just to get the two CT awards by finishing Trial 100 and finish in top 250, then you certainly can play the minimalist game (i.e., avoiding the more "costly" upgrades like opening third ability slot, stash space, buying companions, and purchasing XP boosters & legendary crafter's crate). Nhat had an older post on the gem costs of opening all the slots in an ANB, and it seems that even opening the companion and ability slots pushed past 1k gems. Although his strategy, which I use, does allocate some gems to upgrading abilities to at least level 5 for the synergy bonus. I have yet to see any posts or videos about "How to compete in ANB with only 1000 Gems."

I used a minimal gem strategy for the most recent Bronze ANB and finished just out of top 250 in BH class. BH seems to be more competitive these days (see @TinMan post on number of players in each hero class in most recent Silver ANB https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...l-leaderboards). Of course, my goal was only to get the two CTs and the XP from the event, since I wanted to save gems for the Gold ANB where I am more competitive (I rarely have time to use even 6 hours of playing time in an ANB). In my mind, "competitive" means that you are pushing to get at least a top 100 finish on the ANB leaderboard since only those results get posted. However, as a newbie, I used to be happy to finish in the top 10% so clearly there are different definitions of competitiveness.

So, yes, I am still a skeptic when it comes to minimal gem "competitiveness." I have yet to see any forum posts or videos about "How to compete in ANB with only 1000 Gems." Keep in mind that I was also skeptical about achieving high XP levels in an ANB before FendyBt2 posted his video tutorial showing how to reach level 70 in 30 minutes. I regularly get over 1k XP now using the always use XP on every piece of gear strategy.

So my challenge to the minimalists out there is show the forum your gem expenses to prove it can be done.

Comment

• Ozymandius
      Ozymandius commented
      Editing a comment
      MetalMan Yes, I bookmarked FendyBt2's YouTube site. Try this link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QG7FhrfyOONCdq

• Stusmith50
      Stusmith50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out Romme's video on Discord - Fendys videos where made prior to the major updates at the end of last year.

• mahara
      mahara commented
      Editing a comment
      @Ozymandius
      Since i can't prove anything, it's up to you what or who you believe. I reached, Silver #4 i think it was, with my second account playing ELR mage TL110 and placed 72nd on the final LB while spending 650 gems.

Wouldn’t it be nice one event every year where everyone starts with the same amount of materials and gems and you cannot buy anything extra. All equals, where only the strategy, grinding and skills make the difference. Please just once per year, one week where we all are equals and excellence is just based on the knowledge of the game. For the glory!

If only I had a penny for each of Travis posts...

Comment

• Ozymandius
      Ozymandius commented
      Editing a comment
      Anjaeka I totally agree that they could run the event with a small entry fee to join to cover the cost of the gems for the event. It would need to run on its own schedule, maybe the downtime between seasons. It would create a truly level playing field for all participants.

• mahara
      mahara commented
      Editing a comment
      @Anjaeka
      If i remember this one correctly, pretty much noone was opposed to paying small entry fee (as in $5 or so). But the part where you suggest giving some materials to make it even is actually a bad idea as in while you allow crafting there will be huge gap in RNG crafting. The best solution to this would actually be giving to everybody fixed amount of epic/legendary ephemeral gear boxes and nothing else. Then and only then it would be about skill and strategy.

• LodWig
      LodWig commented
      Editing a comment
      Even playing field is a myth. Give me a big badass PC, take a 10 FPS mobile, do you really think with "all things equal" I won't beat you? And having separate PC/mobile LB won't solve all the hardware disparities (FPS is not the only issue, think FoV for example). Then there is the time one can put into playing a competitive event...

Just try to compete with yourself, or a few players you know or think have more or less the same gaming conditions.

Glory to cash rounds it all off...

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandius View Post
      So my challenge to the minimalists out there is show the forum your gem expenses to prove it can be done.
      I cannot prove I don't lie when I say I reached #59 last silver with 1067 gems spent. Maybe Travis can confirm? Here is the bill (I keep a very detailed log of my actions during ANBs):
      Total -1 067
      5 inventory row -60
      2 companion slot -75
      5 ability slot -110
      1 upgrade slot -400
      * gold pack
      1 +200% XP -200
      +200% G
      legendary crafter's crate
      celestial crate
      1 * apprentice's crate -50
      15 jewel * -111
      1 socket * -61
      reforge *
      unlock *
      Maggie

On the other hand, last bronze I tried to spent less than 1K, I think I made bad choices, and finished #283 with 832 gems spent, and 1h22 left on the event timer:
      Total -832
      5 inventory row -60
      2 companion slot -75
      5 ability slot -110
      upgrade slot
      * gold pack
      2 +200% XP -400
      +200% G
      legendary crafter's crate
      celestial crate
      1 * apprentice's crate -50
      18 jewel * -117
      socket *
      1 reforge * -20
      unlock *
      Marcus' Village
      Maggie

All in all, I'd say it is possible to reach top 100 with around 1K gems, but it's not easy (in the sense you can't be a total newbie) and also will depends on the hardware you have (it is obviously easier for PC players, or fast mobile players).
      Last edited by LodWig; 07-06-2020, 12:00 PM.
      Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
      Eternium Files

Comment

• TonyW
        TonyW commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing! That actually helps and gives me incentives to the next ANB.

And as of comments like "top 100 easy under 1K", I usually ignore those comments because of chatroom tendencies: People brag, exaggerate and round up and down numbers to their advantages. The saying "People run faster the older they get" is so true on Internet forums.

• Travis | Support Mgr.
        Travis | Support Mgr. commented
        Editing a comment
        FWIW, 1067 is spot on.

• LodWig
        LodWig commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot Travis.

Also, on the F2P/P2W debate: I only bought, since I started to play (05/30/2018), the season passes, for a total of 33€. I honestly don't think it gave me a significant advantage, as I already had way more than 10K gems when I bought the first one, and now have 85K gems.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_AF95A88D05BF-1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	175406

To give a measure of where I stand in the competition with these 33€, here are my medal counts:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_16510D0A9A0A-1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	175407

(The red medal is an apology gift, top 500 was enough to get it. Ditto for one green and one purple.)

I think (perhaps immodestly) that I could have more if I were a PC player.

That is why I'm not happy with the Glory not dropping but being purchasable. This is clearly P2W, at least for the next few ANBs.

My plan was to spend a lot of gems in next Gold, hoping for top 25. I won't do it, I won't try to compete with players using a PC and able to craft two chosen trinket, a belt, and weapon enchantments right from the start of a 6 hours long event.
      Last edited by LodWig; 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM.
      Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
      Eternium Files

Comment

Read this whole thread. It's very interesting reading about ANB xp farming
        https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...emeral-jewelry

Comment

• Ozymandius
          Ozymandius commented
          Editing a comment
          mahara Thanks for sharing this link. Very useful info on XP farming. I think that I have to prioritize running trials without boss kills during XP farming to earn higher CL. I tend to sacrifice my XP/minute during those boss kills in order to get 3 gear drops, which mostly go straight into salvage. I assume that players must also run trials to get salvageable set gear at some point; otherwise, you would have to spend a ton of gems to purchase all of the crafting materials for a complete legendary gear set.
      Working...
      X