No announcement yet.

Add indicator on leaderboards if trial was done with touchscreen or keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add indicator on leaderboards if trial was done with touchscreen or keyboard

Something that is asked very often in different social media channels is having split leaderboards between PC and mobile devices. I understand this is something that has to be deeply investigated and won't just be changed immediately, but part of the issue is as well the lack of transparency, that gives the impression of unfair competition between both platforms.

Since controlling the game is inherently easier with key presses than with drawing abilities, I would propose the following:

On the leaderboard, please just add an indicator "keyboard" or "touchscreen" for the ranked trial. Just that.

Note I'm not asking for an indicator that says Windows vs Android/iOS/Fire OS. That's because for some strange reason, mobile versions of the game actually accept key presses too. So connecting a bluetooth keyboard to your phone, or using an emulator on PC means you can cast abilities on the other platforms as well with the [1]-[3] and [Q]-[E] keys. Because of that, cheating the system could still exist. However a flag that says "At least 1 keyboard press event was registered by the game during this ranked trial" would be enough, and would be a very helpful way of showing on the leaderboards who are really the top players, and who just have the advantage of playing on a different platform than the rest.

Agree, I am not an expert or very knowledgeable in programming or game development, but maybe at least I know that the people who knows much about this can add like "oh this player can beam first and then use vortex without breaking the beam, this is a keyboard player!", or something else like "the BH needs to run for his life, draws an M, attempted to draw two times because running while drawing symbol is hard, he was hit by a skeleton archer at TL 155, luckily it has 1000 HP left so the apple saved him, it is a touchscreen player!"
    Last edited by Benedicto; 04-07-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

This is an interesting suggestion.

The thing which strikes me right off is that rarely do users say "Please sir, can you collect more data on me"

Though - from certain indications - they already are collecting this data (I recall Travis saying somewhere that macros are disallowed, whereas keybindings are not - so I think the only way for the devs to distinguish this is if they are indeed collecting this data).

As to the point though - IF you feel that you would play 'better' using kb/mouse, then that is probably the way to play. I rarely make assumptions on what is the best way to do anything which is best for everyone. If you play exclusively touchscreen and you see everyone in the top leaderboard using kb/mouse - then that might give you some strategic information - the same way that you get to see the build outs of characters that are in the top (or just alongside you further down).

My suggestion is that if you think that kb/mouse would be a better option for you - try that. I have been playing exclusively on my pc kb/mouse because Amazon hasn't updated and I can't play on my tablet. The one thing I find frustrating with that play (and this could just be my unfamiliarity) is that I can't seem to control the direction or location of my casts (probably I can and I just don't know how to do that though!)

Personally, for me, I find the build data/information useful and I am quite thankful they include that, maybe input device might serve some similar purpose.

... KTB

Comment

Apparently the code that makes keyboards active in the game isn't present in the iOS version. So, it's very easy to separate the Leaderboards between trials done on an iOS device, and trials done on another platform. Sure, players would still be able to grind XP and mats faster on PC and then climb the iOS LBs, but as long as only their best rank is kept it's not a problem.

Everyone would win here, because of reduced competition on the LBs, and iOS players having more incentive to try harder will be more engaged (iyswim).

The other mobile platform would also benefit, with no competition from players on allegedly faster devices.
        Last edited by LodWig; 04-07-2021, 03:49 PM.
        Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
        Eternium Files

Comment

• LodWig
          LodWig commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not understand your point either. Splitting LBs would remove nothing to any player base. I don't play on PC because I don't want to, that's all. I'm still playing even at a disadvantage, I'm content with my LB ranks given the fact that I believe I share it with PC players. I would like to be able to see where I'm at amongst mobile player, and that would be solved with the OP suggestion (who, btw, pushes on PC). But being in official top 10 is more rewarding, not only because of the medals, hence the LB splitting proposal.

Of course you can play the game without being competitive, but then you are not concerned with anything LB related. So, again, no harm done by splitting the LBs.

(Also, the advantage of PCs over mobiles is indisputable. It's not something I or the OP just made up. About your easy solution: you can't know what is easy or not for others.)

• Teebs
          Teebs commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry - I honestly didn't mean any offense (and your reply seems to indicate I failed at that).

I am not in any way a competitive gamer (or person in general)

I like the game - I think it is a fun distraction. There is lots about it that interests me from the tech and social sides of it. I love the cross platform integration in terms of being able to pick up any device and logging in and picking up my account where I left off.

As a "newb" - I am no where near being in a position (nor do I have a burning desire though) to be in the top of the lb.

Though - from the tech stand point - the idea that reward allotment based on platform adds a level of complication which I (if I was managing that aspect) would loathe the idea of (the permutations of it becomes horrifying to be honest ... how do you separate out a 'pure' platform from a multiple platform play - or do you only account the last highest level? ... seems like the aspect of stripping the data and forcing them into categories would be an unpleasant job)

Anyway! Totally agree with the point you made : "... you can't know what is easy or not for others". Can confirm, and You were correct in pointing that out.

... KTB

• LodWig
          LodWig commented
          Editing a comment
          I also love the game for the social interactions, the Discord community is great. (Join us if you have not already!) And I love to unearth what are the mechanisms in the game. Without this two points (especially the first) I think I would have quit the game long ago.

I agree that "my" splitting proposal is not easy to do, but maybe only a bit more difficult than just managing a "platform indicator" as per the OP proposal. As for the "pure" vs "mixed" I have proposed to simply do what is already done for players who push with several toons in several classes: just keep the best rank.

(Yes you are right, I was mildly annoyed by your comment. Glad to see it was only my reading of it. Nuance is hard to convey through the Internet.)

Another benefit of UmbraDei proposal is that a player could see what's is the current meta for his preferred device. Some builds are not good (even almost unplayable) on some platforms.
        Eternium Files

Comment

I agree that could be very interesting. Im only touchscreen player and could be nice to know wich player use keyboard and wich one use touch

Comment

I, LodWig, hereby certify that I only push (and as a matter of fact, play) on a mobile device. (Namely, and lately, an iPad Pro.)
            Eternium Files

Comment

• Kristoff
              Kristoff commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL!

While there is a disparity between platforms, it will not even up the playing field as the difference between hardware within each platform has a huge impact. I upgraded my phone and instantly gained 10 tl' s pushing me up from top 500 to top 250. My skills remained the same but I gained more rewards. So really there is no realistic way to even the playing field. Just don't take it too seriously and have fun. It is just a game after all.

Comment

Would be really nice to be able to see if it was a PC and clicks that were used or touch screen interface.

Comment

Another person asking for split or indicator. The current setup doesn't allow mobile players to determine true rankings to each other.

Comment

Sounds good !

Comment

Working...
                  X