A RPG element

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrauGeist View Post
    If I could do 120, and now I can only do 100 or whatever, then everything is slower. Except I used to do 120. Why should my good DPS character be nerfed because other people couldn't be bothered to make a good DPS character? The fact that I made a good character should be rewarded. The fact that they didn't should be penalized.

If you want to do parity properly, you add new options. Not nerf existing charcters.
    By your logic, be glad you didn't play when the highest trial levels were in the 1000's.

The current game meta is too simplistic thus giving the rise to cookie cutter builds. Because there is THE BEST way. And the difference between the best and next best is quite large. Thus everyone becomes carbon copies of each other. This is the natural consequence of having an unbalanced and rudimentary game mechanics core.

Let's make an analogy that you might appreciate. If all you know about math is just addition and were given a set of 5 numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. What do you think you will come up with? Yes you will come up with 15 and only 15.

The concepts and proposals I have suggested here and elsewhere is merely trying to enrich the game mechanics core/foundation. Thus using the above analogy, introducing concepts of subtraction, division, and multiplication to the rudimentary addition. Now even if given the same set of 5 numbers, 1,2,3,4,5, you can end up with many more varied and yet valid answers.

That's all I'm trying to do here. Variety is the spice of life. A game with longevity is one that's easy to learn and tough to master. You need depth for the game to have real longevity. Let's work on the tough to master part for Eternium.
    GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
      A missed opportunity for a lot of the RPG games out there is the fact we do the same damage regardless if we are in perfect health or near death. This is an easy interaction to incorporate into the game and will give the game a more realistic feel. Additionally potentially giving some benefit to those that like to invest in toughness/recovery rather than pure DPS. Which will slightly tilt the game meta away from DPS.

Here is what I'm thinking.
      Seems like the floaty numbers are based on every half a second in this game. So I propose.
      The damage that is dealt during each half second is modified by the below parameters.

If HP is at 100% (perfect health, probably with help of shield bubble) at the beginning of that half second, DPS is calculated at 110%
      If HP is >75% at the beginning of that half second, DPS is calculated at 100%.
      If HP is >50% at the beginning of that half second, DPS is calculated at 90%
      if HP is >25% at the beginning of that half second, DPS is calculated at 80%
      if HP is <25% at the beginning of that half second, DPS is calculated at 60%

Now there is a DPS reason to not just keep your HP at a tick above OHKO. Also introduce a more intricate relationship between DPS and toughness/recovery. Additionally this opens the door for future skills that can counteract the weakening effect of being close to death.
      I like where your thoughts head with this. I have always enjoyed high fantasy style games but in a contradiction enjoy them REALISTIC. With how fast computer are i've always wondered why there isn't more complex relationships between things. I have spent a ton of time playing D&D and hating the rules because it is just straight to the point, HP=-(x+y) if z>n
      roll between 1-20

I have designed several systems that incorporated food/hunger, current hp, blood loss etc to make it all feed into things like concentration etc. It's impossible on pen and paper (man have you ever noticed how bad the average person is at basic math?) But a computer can take 200 variables roll some randoms and give a truly unique result.
      It's really what led to my hobbies of unreal engine and such. I was wondering "how hard could it be?" (turns out the formula part is easy, it's all the other stuff that is hard...guess the budget goes to heavily to animators, and coders)
      Lord Emperor of Bridge Navigational Systems Engineer for:
      Eternium 2: Rise of the bounty Hunters
      see post:https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...pply-for-a-job
      and https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...414-eternium-2

Do NOT hire Xagan! He works for the enemy!!!

Friend code: GEBA WABE WADI 4184

If it's spelled bad. Horrible Grammar. Random words. No photo I was talking about. Or cut off mid sentence...
      It's my tablet, I'm sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Cultusfit View Post

I like where your thoughts head with this. I have always enjoyed high fantasy style games but in a contradiction enjoy them REALISTIC. With how fast computer are i've always wondered why there isn't more complex relationships between things. I have spent a ton of time playing D&D and hating the rules because it is just straight to the point, HP=-(x+y) if z>n
        roll between 1-20

I have designed several systems that incorporated food/hunger, current hp, blood loss etc to make it all feed into things like concentration etc. It's impossible on pen and paper (man have you ever noticed how bad the average person is at basic math?) But a computer can take 200 variables roll some randoms and give a truly unique result.
        It's really what led to my hobbies of unreal engine and such. I was wondering "how hard could it be?" (turns out the formula part is easy, it's all the other stuff that is hard...guess the budget goes to heavily to animators, and coders)
        I plan to write a post soon on this exact topic. Basically make a lot more of the game variables be more than just some numeric input. More complex stat relationships will enrich and deepen the game. But sometimes I hesitate to put it all out there. Because a lot of ppl out there actually do prefer a game where the path is singular and need to be told what to do every step of the way.
        GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

The current game meta is too simplistic thus giving the rise to cookie cutter builds. Because there is THE BEST way. And the difference between the best and next best is quite large. Thus everyone becomes carbon copies of each other. This is the natural consequence of having an unbalanced and rudimentary game mechanics core.
          No, it's an issue of the developers not doing a good job of providing viable alternatives. There is nothing that could not be fixed by buffing or changing non-optimal items or sets to bring them up to par as an alternative. For example, it's obvious that Apprentice > Arcanist for Mage, but what if Arcanist advantages were further buffed? Then it might be viable.

Similarly, that BH >>>> Mage >>>>>>>>>>> Warrior. But again, it wouldn't be hard to buff Mage and Warrior, even SW to make them not suck.

Comment

I plan to write a post soon on this exact topic. Basically make a lot more of the game variables be more than just some numeric input. More complex stat relationships will enrich and deepen the game. But sometimes I hesitate to put it all out there. Because a lot of ppl out there actually do prefer a game where the path is singular and need to be told what to do every step of the way.
            I read a interview with a game developer who had put out a really difficult game
            "...not every game should be accessible to everyone ."

If it's spelled bad. Horrible Grammar. Random words. No photo I was talking about. Or cut off mid sentence...

Comment

I read a interview with a game developer who had put out a really difficult game
              "...not every game should be accessible to everyone ."
              Must be a flop developer,as far as playerbase size is concerned at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Primus View Post

Must be a flop developer.
                I cant even remember who it was but the game hit pretty big...might have been something like dark souls....hang on i'll go try find it.....
                sadly quote didnt bring anything up except people talking about Cuphead....*shrug* guess youre right they failed

Comment

I cant even remember who it was but the game hit pretty big...might have been something like dark souls....hang on i'll go try find it.....
                  sadly quote didnt bring anything up except people talking about Cuphead....*shrug* guess youre right they failed
                  I don't think cuphead failed at all unless you were being sarcastic about it.
                  ANB #1- Mage Rank 17... T107 in 9:47
                  ANB #2- Mage Rank 1..... T116 in 9:54

Live LB- Mage Rank 3..... T122 in 9:05.
                  Live LB- XP Mage ........... T112 in 7:55/ T100 in 3:25.

Click here to see my gameplay videos.

Comment

The hardest game ever: http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Comment

Originally posted by ༺྿Travis྿༻ (Support Mgr.) View Post
                      Try playing that on a Dvorak keyboard. -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Potato View Post
                        I don't think cuphead failed at all unless you were being sarcastic about it.
                        Oh, nope. I actually meant they OTHER company that SAID it failed.
                        Despite what people say about cup-head i think it is accessible to everyone, just not everything is open to everyone...
                        Been wracking my head about where this quote was from....I keep thinking it was from EVE back in day, which means they broke that rule now since they are trying to open it up to more causal players now...
                        Which makes me sad, cause now when the aliens attack and we have to get a bunch of 12 year old EVE players to control our orbital defenses they will be "average" gamers...boooo

Comment

Working...
                        X