Eternium Music - Latest Spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eternium Music - Latest Spotting

At 42:46 into Nova S45E04 -- Great Escape at Dunkirk, the beat that is drilled into my head appeared in the episode.

You never know when Eternium will strike.

I will save Travis the time of having to write the disclaimer. Eternium uses royalty-free music that is available to anyone that wishes to use it. This is not the first time that I have unexpectedly encountered the music.

I would buy digital downloads of the Eternium background music, is it available?

Please, no CDs or DVDs; does anything come with disc drives anymore!? LOL, I used to use a computer that had dual 5.25 inch floppy disc drives, no hard drive.
    Last edited by Tolimar; 06-03-2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I recline back in my creaky rocking chair as I light up my corncob pipe, inhale, and blow out a few rings ...

You know, back in the day, before there were any of these newfangled magnetic media thingamabobs, we used to have to load an entire operating system on the university's mainframe with punched cards! Yesser. Thousands of them cards, mind you. Thousands.

Another puff of smoke leaves my lips as I continue to reminisce...

As long as the card reader was clean and free of chads, you'd get a good load. Yessiree! Cardboard media was where it was at.

I lean forward in my chair and look intently out in space...

And when a card needed replaced, all you had to do was to go over to a keypunch machine and just type up a new one. Yesser. Yesser.

Another puff...I recline back in my chair to begin dozing off...

Life was simpler then...
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

Comment

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Tolimar Sigh, after all this talk about the old days and you have not yet added 2+2?

I manually type the faces old school but without the "-". So, a ";" plus a ")" equals a . The input is case-sensitive so that ":" plus "P" equals :P while ":" plus "p" equals .

So, if you can remember any of the old-school keystrokes, then you can probably make them work.
      Last edited by Tin Man; 06-04-2022, 07:47 PM.

• Tolimar
      Tolimar commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually did think that that might be it :-/

Well, that didn’t work. Let’s try another :-)

Hmmmm…. ;-(

:-p

D’oh!

Well, as the saying sort of goes, I can see through a brick wall if you give me enough time. Thanks!
      Last edited by Tolimar; 06-04-2022, 04:24 PM.

• Bali_Lenni
      Bali_Lenni commented
      Editing a comment
      Back in Europe it was the Commodore 64 - in the first year or so after release it was still cassettes before they switched to floppy.
      Frogger, Donkey Kong, Pitstop, Galaxian, Scramble and top favourites Aztec Challenge and Summer Games ( first time ever surfing made it into a video game ?)......Das schwarze Auge ( The Black eye ?) was one of the first RPGs that had us awed...though that may have been windows already....

....like it was just yesterday :-)

Originally posted by WarriorSeven View Post
    I lean forward in my chair and look intently out in space...

And when a card needed replaced, all you had to do was to go over to a keypunch machine and just type up a new one. Yesser. Yesser.

Another puff...I recline back in my chair to begin dozing off...

Life was simpler then...
    I have a similar memory, but it also includes spending hours going through the printout to find where the error occurred that kept the program from running right, and then finding the appropriate card to replace. Simpler yes, easier ?? .

Comment

• Tolimar
      Tolimar commented
      Editing a comment
      HeHee… Let’s take the WayBack Machine forward a few more years: I remember putting more memory into that IBM dual floppy 5.25 inch drive computer. The chips came in this long plastic tube, and looked like little coffee tables, or tiny Legos with legs. My math may be off, but if you put in like 24 of those little coffee table chips, you boosted the memory to something like a whopping 512k! And those printouts you mentioned, I seem to remember stacks and stacks of them bound in those binders, green and blue, where you pulled out those thin, flexible metal rods, removed the top cover, added more printouts, and then put the cover back on and threaded those metal rods back through the holes at the top. And there were literally thousands of those binders in the Computer Center. What a time that was…

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Tolimar Using the standard 8k DRAM meant installing 32 DIPs to upgrade a base 256kB to 512kB.

Do not forget about the 20MB hard drives that were available at the time. Wait! Those were from the late 80s.

• Tolimar
      Tolimar commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, exactly right, that boost from 256 to 512k took 32 of those little 8k “coffee table” chips. I was just trying to point out the absurdity, looking back from now to then, of what one had to go through for what we thought at the time were such amazing technological achievements. And you nailed it again about the size of those hard drives. My 1990 Mac Classic had a whopping 40MB! My next Mac, the IIsi, came with 1MB of on-board RAM. It cost me $600.00 to bump it up to 17MB (4x4 $150.00 4MB SIMMs). That always got a chuckle, that weird 17MB of RAM.

Ah yes ... Countless hours in the computer lab, pouring over printouts after waiting two hours for your low priority, peon level batch run to crush your ego with numerous WATFIV compiler errors (and that's Waterloo Fortran IV to all you young whippersnappers out there!).

You learned in those days that the human body could live on nothing but caffeine and peanut butter crackers from the snack machine for 48 straight hours at a time with no sleep. Tables and tables of printouts strewn about the adjacent study room the size of a tennis court. On occasion, a student's head would cheat the exhaustion by using their run as a pillow, snores and drool bubbling from the corner of their mouth, all over their dot matrix printed masterpiece.

Hygiene was not an issue in those times either ... you just knew you were among the human masses because you could smell everyone from a distance. Various odors permeating the room that numbed all senses other than those needed to focus on the task at hand: Find the fu#@ing error in your program so you could keypunch a card or two or three, send the pile through the reader, and cross your fingers while you wait again for yet ANOTHER batch run without errors. Your dorm bed, a shower, and a hot meal awaited you beyond this purgatory.

And it was less important about correct results than one without compiler errors. It was a matter of priorities. Correcting a program for the right answer was reserved for another lost weekend.

Ah yes ... a simpler time.

Who said anything about easier?
    Last edited by WarriorSeven; 06-04-2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Tolimar
      Tolimar commented
      Editing a comment
      You had food and drink during those 48 hours with no sleep!? LOL.

This music/sound is one spect of Eternium that I am in total ignorance of … I have always turned my ipad sound off … I have absolutely no idea …

I think this started years ago because I couldnt stand that various grunts and yelps that the characters made … and I preferred playing my own music anyway …

each to their own I suppose .. does anyone else do this ?

Comment

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I turned off all sound for the app years ago. IT JUST WONT GO AWAY!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Tolimar
      Tolimar commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, why do all those skellies and zombies always sound like some poor old geezer hacking his lungs out!? LOL.

So, the latest sighting is Kriegsschiffe - Tod auf See S01E01 - L'eveil des geants at 14:27.

THERE IS NO ESCAPING IT!

Comment

I often wonder(ed) if this motif that Eternium uses was ever heard by Ramin Djawadi (score composer for Game of Thrones) as a public license piece and then bastardized by him for use on the HBO series.

To me, there are haunting themes and rhythms of one that reminds me of the other.

Comment

• Tin Man
        Tin Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I just wonder if any of these poor suckers are or ever have been players of Eternium and ended up unconsciously using the music because it was permanently ingrained in the head.

And there was me thinking Evolution of Evil, S01E05 -'Mussolini: The Father of Fascism' had used Tin Man as the music director. Lot's of similar music right up until 13:42 when bam, there it is. It's then used liberally throughout the remaining 20 mins.

Comment

Working...
      X