Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, stop the ads for paying players.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, stop the ads for paying players.

I'm talking about the 30 second ads that appear every 60 seconds, specifically.

There's a couple of things that you (the developers) seem to have not thought about, so let me give you my perspective.

Firstly - of course I want Gems. I'm going to do my best to earn them, and I even bought the 100g/day thing.

Secondly - I also bought the 'new buyer' AND the 'storm deal'. So, to me, I feel I've kinda paid for the game.

So with those two things established, why on earth do you think it's a good idea to advertise OTHER GAMES to me? The odds are I'll probably renew the 100g/day deal, and I might buy something else, if I'm still playing the game. The best way to STOP me playing the game is to encourage me to play something else. By showing me ads, and rewarding me by showing me ads.

On the other hand, maybe you DO want me to stop playing... You think you've got all the money you can from me, so it's time for you to encourage me to go off somewhere else and play something else. I feel this is false economics, too. I did a quick look at what it costs me, as an advertiser, to advertise in games. The most expensive appears to be $10 per 1000 views, of which the app developer gets 10% of. This means that - best case - you earn $1 from me watching 1000 ads, which at 20 ads a day, is 50 days

Wouldn't you rather charge me $2 (of which you get - worse case - $1.30, with whatever app store takes its cut), and just give me the 5 gems? Then we're both happy. You get more money, I get the gems, and I don't have to stop playing every minute to watch a 30 second ad telling me how good all these other games are.

I just don't think you guys have thought this through properly. Eternium is fun, and it's good to play, but the ads are just awful.

1. As a paying player (thank you for the support), you've unlocked the "reward videos" toggle. If you don't want to see ads anymore, toggle them off.
    2. We don't have ultimate control over which ads are shown. If something is broken or inappropriate, we can have the ads removed, but other than that, our ad partners show what advertisers pay them to show. The upside: we make good money on players watching ads, which keeps the lights on and the game alive. The downside: they show ads for other games.

Comment

As mentioned, you can turn it off completely once you have made a purchase:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-23-15-50-37.png
Views:	583
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	105369

I actually prefer it this way, since it gives me another way to get Gems - and if I don't feel like watching the ads, I can always press the "no" (or something like that) on the pop-up for it, no one's making you press "yes"...
      Eternium Files - links and details Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by ྿༻Travis༺྿ (Support Mgr.) View Post
        1. As a paying player (thank you for the support), you've unlocked the "reward videos" toggle. If you don't want to see ads anymore, toggle them off.
        2. We don't have ultimate control over which ads are shown. If something is broken or inappropriate, we can have the ads removed, but other than that, our ad partners show what advertisers pay them to show. The upside: we make good money on players watching ads, which keeps the lights on and the game alive. The downside: they show ads for other games.
        My experience is that most games suck. Or become boring within a week or so. Eternium defies that so far. Keep running ads for other games. I set down my phone down while they run. That battle mech game reminds me of mech warrior which my father in law liked back in the day, and I want to show my wife the trailer for that one game just because the warrior attack looks so bananas, but beyond that, I don't care. Heck, please make the ones that don't have an ad drop one guaranteed gem like they do on occasion. I'd be good. I'll keep watching every one. I might wait and go back after I beat the boss, but I'll watch them. Gems is gems.
        It's Adventure Time!

Mobile Player

Wrath, warrior
        Fury, mage
        Death, bounty hunter

CUBI XUPI SAPA 6823

Comment

You're missing the point. Charge me $2 a month. Give me the 5 gems every 90 seconds of play time. You get more money, I don't have to watch the ads.

1000 ads will take 500 hours, or 20 days of me doing nothing else APART from watching ads. Seriously. Let me just give you twice as much as you earn from the ads.
          Last edited by xrobau; 06-23-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Ah, I get you now. You want to get the Gems from ads, without having to actually watch the ads themselves, and by turning it off, you feel that you're missing out on the Gems that you could have gotten from them (and the dev missed out on their revenue). Also, they won't always appear every 60 seconds - I've gone through plenty of 20 minutes sessions without even seeing one ad.

Although getting "5 gems every 90 seconds" is not correct, since there's a limitation of 20 Ads per day right? I remember seeing this mentioned in another game, and you also refer to it in your post - so the most you can get from ads in one day is 100 Gems,

This would then equate to a "subscription" of 100 Gems per day, which is what the current "Daily Gems" already provided, albeit at a higher price ($3.99 USD) than you suggested.

So there are 2 options:
            • Reduce the price for the current Daily Gems purchase, and make it disable the "Rewarded Videos" option
            • Add another "subscription" for $2 which also permanently disable the "Rewarded Videos" option
            Eternium Files - links and details Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post
              Although getting "5 gems every 90 seconds" is not correct, since there's a limitation of 20 Ads per day right?
              No. Yesterday it was 34 ads. Which earned the devs, best case, 3.4c USD.

​​​​​​
              Add another "subscription" for $2 which also permanently disable the "Rewarded Videos" option
              Yes. This is exactly what I'm asking for. Let me give you guys more money. Please. But also reward me with 5 gems as if I HAD watched the ad.

Comment

The devs get more than $1 for 1000 ads... Iirc they get around 10 times less than if you would buy the gems directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Humus View Post
                  The devs get more than $1 for 1000 ads... Iirc they get around 10 times less than if you would buy the gems directly.
                  Nope. I know that because it costs me $10 CPM (Cost per Millie - cost per thousand) to advertise. So unless middlemen are working for free (which is the exact OPPOSITE of what middlemen do!), I would trust that it's about $1cpm to the actual app developers 8)

Edit: And you can google this yourself. Don't trust me, a random guy on the internet. Go look it up.

Edit 2: I just got an ad in, what I assume was Mandarin or Cantonese (I speak neither). I don't think advertisers are paying huge amounts of money to advertise to people who don't speak the language they're advertising in.
                  Last edited by xrobau; 06-24-2018, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xrobau View Post
                    1000 ads will take 500 hours, or 20 days of me doing nothing else APART from watching ads.
                    1000 ads will actually take less than 500 minutes, not 500 hours. And I say "less" because a good percentage of the ads are under 30 seconds.

Anyway, 5 Gems every X minutes, is not an entitlement, it's a reward for watching ads. You have 2 options: disable the ad boxes and you don't get distracted by ads, or watch the ads and get rewards. Not a complicated concept.
                    I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosen View Post
                      1000 ads will actually take less than 500 minutes, not 500 hours.
                      Geez. Your're right. I can't count. Sorry. So yes, for the devs to earn $1 in ad revenue, I need to watch about 8 hours worth of ads.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Anyway, 5 Gems every X minutes, is not an entitlement, it's a reward for watching ads.
                      Which is the reward for giving the devs an extra income stream 8)

You have 2 options: disable the ad boxes and you don't get distracted by ads, or watch the ads and get rewards. Not a complicated concept.
                      Or this, the third option, which benefits everyone. Including the advertisers who are LITERALLY throwing their money away.

Comment

XROBAU > I disabled watching ADS. My opinion this is wasted time and it looks like you can easily afford it. I just buy gems from the store and enjoy free time with the game. The way these types of games work is that you pay little (or more then little) every now and then and the game is being continuously developed/improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Land View Post
                          The way these types of games work is that you pay little (or more then little) every now and then and the game is being continuously developed/improved.
                          Charge me $2 a month. Give me the 5 gems every 90 seconds of play time. You get more money, I don't have to watch the ads.
                          You're agreeing with me, then?

Comment

Originally posted by xrobau View Post
                            You're missing the point. Charge me $2 a month. Give me the 5 gems every 90 seconds of play time. You get more money, I don't have to watch the ads.
                            You can currently pay 5 bucks and get ~3000 gems per month, provided that you login every day.
                            Your suggestion is basically for another package, which would cost less than half of that (2 bucks) and that it could potentially give you 28,800 gems for the same period (1 month). This is such a realistic suggestion, I cannot imagine how this could ever be exploited...

All joking/sarcasm aside, I think the person who is missing the point here is yourself. Companies do their market research, which by itself is a complex project which requires experts/professionals and costs $$$$, and based on that they decide how they will handle their ads. The sheer amount of parameters that you seem to omit, such as target demographics, countries where the players are based, times of the day that the game is played, etc. need to be taken into account.
                            As brilliant as your suggestion may feel inside your own head, it's got very basic flaws and I am not even talking about your calculations being 10x off the mark.

I think that the MF decision makers have found a very sweet spot, where all their ad revenue is based on "opt-in mechanics" (you don't see ads unless you specifically choose so) and at the same time have incentivized watching ads just enough so that people will volunteer when they feel like doing so. When you want to focus and farm stones or push trials, you can completely disregard ads; and when you could use 30 seconds to pour another drink, change the channel on the TV or wash your hands, ads can be very helpful.
                            Last edited by Chosen; 06-25-2018, 11:05 AM.
                            I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosen View Post
                              You can currently pay 5 bucks and get ~3000 gems per month, provided that you login every day.
                              I can only assume you have not read the entire thread. Can I suggest you start with, at least, my original post, and read it in its entirety?

The sheer amount of parameters that you seem to omit, such as target demographics, countries where the players are based, times of the day that the game is played, etc. need to be taken into account.
                              No, I'm saying it's not relevant. And, please, before you reply again, PLEASE READ MY ORIGINAL POST. Where I said, explicitly, 'charge me twice as much as you earn from ads'.

I think that the MF decision makers have found a very sweet spot,
                              I agree. But, again, not relevant.

Plenty of other popular games are doing this, because it's a no-brainer. I just find it amazing that there's a couple of people - like you - who are actively saying 'I think MF should earn less than they could, because I would rather waste my time, and advertisers money'. I really like Eternium. I've been playing it for about a week, and I'm at 174.

I'd like to give the developers more money, in exchange for wasting less of my time, but I'm totally astounded by your (and other) comments.

So, OK. You've won. My terribly thought out, and "basically flawed" idea of 'paying more money to support the developers of the game I like' is a complete flop. I will continue wasting my time watching ads for other, competing games - many of which offer 'remove ads, get the rewards' plans, until I get sick of doing so, and try one of these games, and start spending money there, instead.

it's got very basic flaws
                              Yes. How foolish of me.

Edit: I realise, after re-reading I didn't EXACTLY say 'Charge me twice as much' - I said 'If you earn $1, charge me $2, and even with app store cuts, you'll still get more'. I expected better than 2nd grade mathematics, but apparently that was too much for some. So that's what I meant.
                              Last edited by xrobau; 06-25-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X