No announcement yet.

Ads removed. Goodbye Free to Play???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you guys have just headshot yourselves... Unless you guys got some great idea for 200/300 free gems per day that ppl can farm without spending a single $ on it

Comment

My two cents on ad boxes: I don't think the ad box system was fair to begin with. I almost never received more than 4 to 5 ad boxes a day, most of the time, I didn't even get that many. I think this had to do with my location. Most people in the so called "first world" will have many advertisers wanting to show ads to, but in a less developed country like Pakistan, where people are not considered heavy spenders online, most advertisers are probably not eager to show ads to. I used to hear that people are getting like 50 ad boxes a day, and I would follow all the directions - clearing cache, resetting ad id - but never receive more than 4 to 5 ad boxes. I didn't begrudge you guys getting so many ad boxes a day (okay, maybe a little), but I'm not going to miss them.

I've been doing story mode gem farming for years now. Recently, I've stopped purchasing even the $4 a month subscription and only buy the season pass. At one point, I had about 57k gems, I'm now down to about 42k (will get another 10k when the season ends).

Comment

Originally posted by Travis | Support Mgr. View Post
        We are working on adding new "daily activities with gem rewards".
        That's from other post. .
        let's wait and see what devs will offer us in the next update
        Last edited by kurtcabage; 09-12-2020, 09:36 AM.
        Guide :

Comment

Thinking about this over the last couple of days I have a few random thoughts. In no particular order:

Giving away 250 gems/day is probably not a sustainable business model for a game this small.

With revenue from ads down across all online platforms during the current pandemic, I suspect that the reduced revenue from ads was not enough to fund even a single developer position to maintain the software infrastructure required for the ads.

I think revenue from p2w microtransactions during ANBs is the studio's most promising source of revenue, but is currently over priced.

Expecting players to pay as much for a single ANB as they would for, say, Wasteland 3 is probably not a viable long term model for a game with this little content and this small of a player base. Some will, of course, and maybe enough to keep the lights on, but probably not enough to add enough significant content to retain players.

I don't think we'll see a replacement for ad gems until after Gold, and probably not until after season 4 because they want to see if eliminating ad gems increases microtransactions during Gold and the end of Season 4 rankings push.

When we do see a replacement I doubt we'll see anything that comes close to replacing 250 gems/day. Probably something more like increasing daily gems from the monthly sub by 10 or 20 gems a day, or daily login gems of 10-20 a day.

I think the trend of fewer players in ANBs will continue. The first ANB had 40k bounty hunters, the current has less than 4k. The value proposition just isn't there. Too repetitive, too grindy, too expensive, stale content.

The drop off in both forum activity and discord posts is a negative indicator, especially during the pandemic when gaming activity is up overall.
          WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

Originally posted by Travesty View Post
            I don't think we'll see a replacement for ad gems until after Gold, and probably not until after season 4 because they want to see if eliminating ad gems increases microtransactions during Gold and the end of Season 4 rankings push.
            I suspect it won't. The whales will continue to spend but those that cannot afford to are not suddenly going to start spending more.

I've always hated the ads but they were the largest source of gems for my ANB events so I tolerated them. Now that they are gone I am really feeling it...I doubt there's going to be a way that I can really participate in the events now.

I'm all for removing the ads if they really don't generate any income for the devs, especially since, depending on location, some players hardly receive any ads, as long as there's some sort of alternative. I really like the idea of an alternative that encourages game play.
            DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

• Travis | Support Mgr.
              Travis | Support Mgr. commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Arawn View Post
              I really like the idea of an alternative that encourages game play.
              So do the devs. Not every decision we make is driven by revenue. No one is looking to get rich off of Eternium. We just want to put out a fun game and get paid while doing it.

• Arawn
              Arawn commented
              Editing a comment
              Travis | Support Mgr. Do you know if the devs plan on implementing their new gem fix before ANB gold? Gold has always been a gem-sink and if we don't have a way to acquire gems beforehand then I'm not sure if I (and others) will even be able to feasibly play gold this time around

I liked to farm ads during the dailies, methodically marching through the levels killing everything looking for mystery boxes while my mind wandered to other things. (especially during the ads)
            Then, add a few more levels to get to 200+ gems for the day. Hard to see an alternative that benefits the developers that won't involve me forking over cash (Those exist already).
            Feels like the beginning of the end to me. when I feel pressured to fork over cash to buy a legendary during an ANB, that will probably be the end. $$$ to just play, no better than candy crush. Here's to hoping the devs come up with something creative (at least hope is free).

Comment

Honestly it never came to my mind to stop playing until this happened. I still have this amount of gems, gained through hardwork of farming everyday for years, of course it decreases because I am actively participating in every single ANB since it started. My gem pool even reached as high as 64k before the frequency of the events came. In the end of the season, I'll have 10k more. But, maybe this will be my countdown. I spend around 6k in bronze and silver, and 10k in gold. This will be my indicator to decide and accept if this is the end for me but still hoping they'll make the promised alternative before I spend my last gem.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-13-15-10-55-18.png
Views:	978
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	180920

Comment

I shall be bowing out of the game after a year once this ANB Gold comes and goes. I've got just over 3k gems left, enough for one 2.5k crafing crate and one extra move leveling slot. No way I would be able to have a decent go at another for a month or two after that. I'll admit I hadn't done the boxes for months until recently, had to grind some gems for the start of this ANB.
                Feels like it's pay or quit now and I'll choose to leave unless they come up with some other way of gaining gems for free in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Some of the other posts about this got consolidated into a single thread over in Feedback and Suggestions. Check that one out when you get a moment. You're not the only one that feels this way.
                  WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

Some more or less random thought about this:

This game is definitely free to play. You can download it for free, and there is no paywall inside. You may decide to spend some real money to go higher, faster, but you surely don't have to do it.

You may think this game is "pay to win", but it all depends on what you mean by "to win".

The only money I spent in this game was for buying the three first season passes. I can't say it didn't help me, but consider that when I bought the first one I already had 40K+ gems, and good gear. So the gain was very small.

This small amount (33€) I spent while playing the game for more than two years...

The only "pay to win" aspect I've seen is the purchasable Glory, just before an ANB, giving the buyers an advance in unlocked recipes. I decided not to buy the fourth season pass because of that. (It was 20 paid Glory.)

This advantage buyers had is rapidly vanishing, thanks to the free Glory awarded in events. I have 50 Glory left, and nothing to unlock that could help me "win".

Learning, listening to the many good players giving good advice on Discord, trying, and putting some effort in it, will help you "win" way more than spending money for gems.

You can look at my main hero, named Anaijeh, now #32 on Hunter season LB, #121 on All Classes season LB, if you want to see what can be achieved for free (or near free, if you wish).

Granted, I'm not on the top, but I play mobile only (which is far more an impediment than the lack of gems). I think I will be in top 30 on Hunters LB this sixth Silver league (#25 now, three hour before event end), with exactly 885 gems spent. Which means I have about 800 more now than at the event start. For free. (Ads have been broken for months now on iOS, so all are from drops, calendar rewards and dailies.)

Another mobile-only hunter is now #12, with under 1K gems spent.

Also, I have 84434 gems now. Only 30K were paid for (season passes). I intend to use a lot of these (around 8K) in next Gold League, so if I don't play more out of ANBs and/or unless there is a faster way to gain more gems without "watching" ads, this treasure will surely slowly decrease. But I will blame myself.

The ad situation wasn't satisfying anyway, with PC players excluded from it, and also iOS players because of bugs (on the ad server side say the DP staff). So getting rid of it entirely will surely help the devs focus on more satisfying things for us the player (and presumably for them!). I welcome this decision. (Yes it's easier for me, since, again, it has been months since I received gems from "watching" an ad.)

Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
                    Eternium Files

Comment

• Travesty
                      Travesty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Apologies, I didn't intend to derail this topic with a debate about whether Eternium is p2w. If you start a different thread about that I'll gladly contribute my thoughts.

But I certainly agree that Eternium is also free to *play.*

I think we both agree that ad boxes were sub optimal. But make no mistake that many players relied on them to be able to enjoy other aspects of the game, such as ANB, and will leave without a suitable replacement.

And that doesn't make them bad players who didn't listen to good advice on discord or work hard enough.

• LodWig
                      LodWig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Apologies, I didn't intend to derail this topic with a debate about whether Eternium is p2w. If you start a different thread about that I'll gladly contribute my thoughts.
                      I reacted to the title and substance of the OP, not on anything you wrote.

But make no mistake that many players relied on them to be able to enjoy other aspects of the game, such as ANB, and will leave without a suitable replacement.
                      I offered my own experience, perhaps presumptuously, to show that even without ads you can earn "enough" free gems, granted if you accept not to be on top of each and every LBs. To "win" is in the eye of the beholder, I'm happy to best myself, and also not be too far away, of course.

And that doesn't make them bad players who didn't listen to good advice on discord or work hard enough.
                      Not bad, just maybe a bit lazy or impatient. Not throwing stones to anybody here. Again, I'm not on top, and it took me two years to get there. Spending gems is a way to cut some time, and effort. In my first ANBs I spent a lot of gems for mild to bad results. When ads ceased functioning (on iOS), I had to adapt, and for the better I think. I do believe, perhaps falsely, that many people would like to have a lot of free gems because they don't want to put more effort in using them wisely. Just throwing gems at the problem, if you want. Also, I made tremendous progress after discovering the Discord on the game. Perhaps my sentence could be seen as patronizing or something, I do apologize for that, English is not my mother tongue. But I wanted to say to unaware players (in a way to my former me) that there is a huge source of progress on that Discord, which can more than compensate the reduction of gem flow.
                      Last edited by LodWig; 09-13-2020, 06:21 PM.

Ok, I'm totally confused by the topic merge. Just saw your screenshot Benedicto, here is mine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5CBBECD3-D132-4DFB-A171-4B0996B22F64.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	180981

This is now, after months of dysfunctional ads on iOS.
                    Last edited by LodWig; 09-13-2020, 07:02 PM.
                    Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
                    Eternium Files

Comment

• Travis | Support Mgr.
                      Travis | Support Mgr. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There have been three separate threads regarding the removal of ads. I've merged them all into one thread. The OP states that the game is no longer F2P because ads have been removed and the rest of the posts in the thread follow that topic (feedback about ads being removed).

• Benedicto
                      Benedicto commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice to see you still have that much gems until now. Now wondering if somebody has more than a hundred thousand, he/she has an impressive gem management..

• LodWig
                      LodWig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Indeed someone have more than 100K.
                      (Edit: I just asked him, he has 161K gems.)
                      Last edited by LodWig; 09-14-2020, 08:12 AM.

Seems like these were about the only benefit given to those of us on mobile. So yet another gift to the PC players. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

Comment

It's funny that some people glad with the ad removing because "they don't get the ad boxes". That is a very selfish reason, lol..

Comment

• Sleepy Dragon
                        Sleepy Dragon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you didn't say it, that means my post is not for you. why are you being so salty about it? LOL..

I really dont care if the ads are removed are not, dont mean a thing to me. I just find it funny that some are glad that it was removed because they didnt get it. When obviously a lot of players benefit from it. If you didnt say it then i am not talking about you.

• LodWig
                        LodWig commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As I recall it, your post was just below mine in the topic I responded to. If you can point me to where someone said he was
                        glad with the ad removing because "they don't get the ad boxes".
                        please do.

Please note that being glad the ads are removed in the hope of a better replacement that will ultimately benefit to all, is not the same as being glad the ads are removed because they weren't available anyway.

• Sleepy Dragon
                        Sleepy Dragon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are just one grumpy dude.. My post was not below yours and i don't point nor quote to a specific person. If you didnt say it why are you being so frigging grumpy about it. You are one weird guy

Originally posted by Sleepy Dragon View Post
                      It's funny that some people glad with the ad removing because "they don't get the ad boxes". That is a very selfish reason, lol..
                      So wanting a level playing field is selfish? I think you need to rethink that...

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post

So wanting a level playing field is selfish? I think you need to rethink that...
                        Nope, it is selfish. The ads benefit the masses, so if some people didnt get it because of bugs,it is not the other players fault. Is this simple reasoning is unacceptable to you?

When you think of your interest ahead of the common interest of others (majority that is), that is selfish.

Not that this discussion is important anymore since the ads are removed already. LOL..

Comment

• Sleepy Dragon
                          Sleepy Dragon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well I am not talking about solution, benefits all, or anything like that either. People need to read properly. I just said that I find it funny a few people are glad when a lot of players clearly feel aggrieved. You can feel differently than me and i dont care, you are human you have your opinions. I found something funny that is all..

And again Wiggy, you didnt say it why are you being so defensive about it. I am replying to the guy above my post.

• LodWig
                          LodWig commented
                          Editing a comment
                          People need to read properly.
                          Indeed.

• Sleepy Dragon
                          Sleepy Dragon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad you realized that. Might improve your comprehension skills a notch...
                      Working...
                      X